FX850v Problem

DawsonLC

LawnSite Member
I've had a problem with this engine ( 125 hrs ) where it is losing power
at times. We have replaced both coils and it still does the same. It seems to happen after it has been running a while and then we shut it off it will be down on rpm's when we start it back up. If we let it run a while with out putting a load on it, it will clear up.

Fuel system has been checked and is clean. One thing I have noticed is
the carb sweats at the intake and is very cold to the touch. Kawasaki
says that is normal but none of my other Kawi engines do that.

Anyone have any ideals????

OP
D

DawsonLC

LawnSite Member
at times yes, but most of the time when engaging pto

OP
D

DawsonLC

LawnSite Member
spark plug going bad? seems odd with such low hours. coils should be fine too with that few of hours on it. maybe a loose wire somewhere?
Brand new coils. The carb sweating and being super cold kind of makes me think it's a carb problem. If I try to mow with it, you can smell gas and the engine gets hot.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
Brand new coils. The carb sweating and being super cold kind of makes me think it's a carb problem. If I try to mow with it, you can smell gas and the engine gets hot.
might have a fuel leak somewhere. you shouldn't be smelling any gas. wouldn't think it would have a carb problem being so new but you never know.

flintknapper

LawnSite Senior Member
That doesn't sound right to me. You have basically the same NIKKI carb, spacer and intake as on my FH series and I guarantee you mine doesn't 'sweat' nor is it cold to the touch.

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
Is this machine propane powered? If there is frost on the intake, carb is creating carburetor icing which happens when the humidity is high, even in the summer. Common problem on reciprocating engine powered airplanes. To correct the problem aircraft have a carb heat control to warm the incoming air to the carb.

OP
D

DawsonLC

LawnSite Member
I run 2 other Kawi powered JD 930M's and I checked them while running and you can feel a cool area near the intake,
but no sweating. The one on the Cub Pro Z while running is cold like AC hitting you.Plus it sweats enough to get your hand wet. These were checked at the same time.

Yep Kawasaki rep used all the 50 dollar words to say it would do this in humidity, but in all my years I have never
seen this happen like this.