1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Gallons per 1000

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Jscoop, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Jscoop

Jscoop LawnSite Member

Hello,

I've been going through process of starting a residential/commercial turf maintenance company( fertilizer, herbicide applications). While looking at sprayer options, I was asked the question of how many gallons per 1000, I would like to spray. I replied with two gallons, and was told that most people spray 4 gallons/1000. I am a golf course superintendent, and have pretty extensive experience in spraying. For the most part, most herbicides and insecticides have a range starting with 1 gallon per 1000. Fungicides usually specify for 2 gallons/1000.

So I'd like to know what the train of thought of is going with 4. Seems like a lot of waste( extra towing weight, more frequent refills) I am in the Tampa area, maybe its a local thing?

Thanks for your feedback.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I think your thinking is correct--one or two gal per thousand is fine--however--if you are planning to mix urea or other liquid fertilizer with the water solution that is different. Urea and potassium chloride have a burn potential (a high salt index). Unless mixed with more water, these two will tend to draw water out of the grass plant. This results in fertilizer burn. Small companies usually have to apply the fertilizer as a second step. This is time consuming--but it results in better quality--if the operator is experienced.

lawnjox likes this.
  3. Jscoop

Jscoop LawnSite Member

Ok, at what rate of lbs/1000 of n does it become a problem? I spray fairways with uflexx (46-0-0) all the time at .1-.25 lb of n/ at less than a gallon/10000 with no problems.

4. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Silver Member

I think 4 gallons is excessive as hell unless you need to get an insecticide down in the soil. My gut feeling is low rates of fertilizer, as you mentioned, in low volume of water is less of a problem on warm season turf than it is for us in cool season. Good luck with your new venture.

5. ETM

ETM LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

I started at 3/1000 and went to 2/1000 very quickly. Now I'm using a rideon at .25/1000.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

.75 pound of nitrogen as urea, per thousand sq ft in 3 gals of water is acceptable--up to a temperature of 80. Reduce to a half pound of nitrogen and omit potash, if temp is over 80.
    Reduce the rate even more if on fine fescue, or if the soil is dry.
    Sometimes it works to use the pressure adjustment screw; cut the pressure in half to reduce the rate--if the temperature gets hot. Your weed control could be adversely affected of course.

7. On a call

On a call LawnSite Gold Member

Are you certain of the measurement ?

8. On a call

On a call LawnSite Gold Member

Ditto it was a many years ago but did the same thing.

ETM likes this.
  9. Jscoop

Jscoop LawnSite Member

positive, do note there is a deciamal point or 1/10th , and 1/4 lb N

10. ETM

ETM LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

I just got a few condos to spray and I'm going old school on there a$$. Breaking out the spacesaver lol.