Game/Riddle/Curiosity "Nozzle Variety vs most used Problem"

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by RhettMan, Jan 7, 2019.

1. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

So this is a weird thread, i was just contemplating the question of what residential, and commercial: Installers, techs, supply houses etc, are seeing as a ratio of "halves quarters fulls, TQtrs" and then each of those categorys then applied their radius'.

say 8 10 12 15

and we can use that ratio to divide the box/boxes in such a way that we are filling up the box at a regular interval and each compartments nozzles be just about (10%) ((just about the same)) lets say.

VERSUS:

Filling up a small compartment of 10H all the time while the other compartments are full to the brim.

Perhaps....
    Rod and Ron could fetch us this "grand average ratio of nozzle usage on all projects total" (i dont think there is a way to differentiate residential and commercial) ((i still think we will have some interesting ratios.

If we could project long term what we needed to buy. we could by more of it now.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  2. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

I see what you’re driving at and I suppose this may be heresy :D but a large supply of 8 and 18 variable arc would do most of what I run into. To really enter what may be a hall of shame, I’ve pretty much fully embraced the rotator nozzle craze. Thumbs Up

zr100 and mitchgo like this.
  3. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

The guy/guys in my area go with 15 VANS,

Cause it fits everything from 5' to 20'

and oh BTW that's an easy way to do it

4. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

I by far use 10 half’s And 15 SST more than anything. I typically stock 50 of those and the rest 25

I am still bummed Rainbird went away with TT and TQ. , They encourage you to use the HE van instead , Which still do not have very good defined edges

5. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Most of what I see are 12s and 15s so that’s what I carry. At least a bag plus of Q and F in each, 2+ bags of H’s, maybe a half bag to full bag of sst, and a handful of est and cst. And some vans and other misc for whatever’s in between. We install 570s so we only carry male thread nozzles, if a hunter or rb spray needs to be renozzled it gets replaced.

6. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

your joking?

7. Outlawn

Outlawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I stock zero fixed sprays. Almost all I use are TVANs and RVANs for pop ups.
    There have been a few rare cases this past season that I used strip sprays but they were less than a handful of times.
    I’m probably 80%/20% residential vs commercial.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Rainbird might believe they can command the market without offering the full line of products they had in recent years. If the market pushes back and proves them wrong, I'm sure the discontinued sizes will return to production. Meanwhile, the cutting edge moves over to Toro.

9. frumdig

frumdig LawnSite Senior Member
    from nunya

8's and 10's are pretty prone to getting stopped up with grit. so those just get replaced with a new nozzle. sst's are about the same. Then, I still like to have plenty of 8 and 10 quarters, sure i use more halves, but theres a lot of stopped up quarters. Same with ESTs.

15's are usually pretty easy to clear out if something is stuck in them, so i dont have to replace quite as many. Seems like i always have plenty of 15 halves on hand tho. I feel like this can apply to 12's too, but i never seem to be out of 12's.

18' vans are pretty popular around here too. You dont see many rotor nozzle zones, so maybe thats why. anything much further than that is just going to be a regular rotor with a small nozzle, or really choked down.

then full circles, usually just keep a bunch of 15 fulls, and a smaller percentage of 10 fulls. (i hate using vans for a full circle) 12's and 8's arent usually necessary.

last, 5 footers, i feel like not many people use them. but no one installs drip around here, and theres always the tight/narrow bed/corner with way too big of a nozzle blasting into the back of bush that doesnt like the extra water. I can usually just swap over to a 5'er and save everyone a headache.

i like to replace vans with fixed when i can, even if i have to overspray a little. I see a lot of quarter set vans because most people will at least stock halves, but use a van for everything else.

10. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Not really

Just to be clear "they" do this not "me"