1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

gang mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dean, Jul 17, 2002.

1. dean

dean LawnSite Member

I'm looking for information on gang mowers for sports fields. what's the best 15 foot or larger.

2. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

gang mowers as in Reel mowers or like a pull behind Batwinf rotary? If a rell mower is what you want i would go with the John Deere 365 hydraulic Gang mower. It gives an awsome cut. The 5 gang is 134 inches and the 7 gang is 186 inches. The unit is about $30,000 though. If this is too much then got with a Jacobson or Toro ground driven unti with hydro transport frame. Figure around $1500 a reel plus the frame. Hope this helps. any more questions just ask.

3. ouimguy

ouimguy LawnSite Member

What acreage are you looking at mowing, what type of grass, reel or rotary mower, and the condition of the surface. I have used all types of mowers and they all have pros and cons.

4. parkmaster

parkmaster LawnSite Member

personally i have used toro (parkmaster) 5 & 7 gang reel mowers for 15 years. a great machine with the right operator. you have
    5, 7, 9, or 11 bladed reels the 5 or 7 bladed reel should be ok
    to use on soccer fields.
    i've also used the toro 580D rotary mower 15ft.cut. reel mower
    about the same width. depending on type of turf i perfer
    the reel mowers, good when mowing twice a week or more.

average soccer field is 81,000 sq.ft. playing area

5. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I used to have a ProMow gang mower. Cut was good, just a little heavy. I had a seven gang, if I remember, I think I bought it for about 1k for a used one. I think they have some kind of ad in Turf Mag.

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I use Jacobsen fairway units,I have 2 7 gang setups,one with 10 blade reels(great for fine cutting fairways at 3/4" tall.The other is a 6 blade setup set at 1 3/4" height.These mowers cut great,and a re ultra reliable.Id recommend them in a heartbeat.The best part of these old style mowers is they draw so little HP,we get by easily with a 32hp deisel tractor,these are 15 ft cut units,and 32hp is plenty,average fuel usage is about.7- 1 gallon per hr,with a 16 ft cut,at 5 mph.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I get those gang mowers workin for a while but then they steal from my trailer when I aint lookin. The biggest problem is the drive by's from the other gang mowers.

camper.gif