1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Garden Railroads anyone??

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Smalltimer1, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I know that this is an off the beaten path type of idea and inquiry, but does anyone here sell/install garden railroads? From what I can tell they usually run outdoor grade G-scale models.

I have a traditional O Scale Lionel collection and I think that the garden railroad would be a fun and interesting extension to landscaping. The tracks are run between the bushes/shrubs/etc. and have bridges over the fishponds and if you take a look at the pictures at the link below, you almost can't tell its a model and not the real thing (other than the loco not smoking). I have visited several garden railroads around this area and think that it could be a great idea to capitalize on.

I went browsing online for a good site that describes what I'm referring to and this seems to be a pretty good site from what I saw there.

http://www.mylargescale.com/

2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I had a customer (I hang out at our local train shop alot) who knew I had trains myself. Well he asked if I would install them. Well after he got a landscape design done and I gave him a price just for installing the track, tunnels and bridges. He was forget it. Its an expensive hobby.

3. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I know its not cheap--there's a lot of prep work required to get it right. I know you actually have to setup a functional roadbed underneath the tracks before you even can lay them. Lots of electrical work, lots of manual labor. I figured in this area, the greater Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area, that there would be a good potential for this kind of add-on service to a growing landscape enterprise.

My guess would be to charge $75/hr. on this kind of work, since there would be some form of trenching involved. I think I have an idea for a miniature pay scraper design to work behind my JD 300, since it has remote hydraulic outlets on it that I could operate the hydraulic cylinders with on this type of machine. It would almost be like a Gannon Earthcavator type of device, but with a narrower bucket.

4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Smalltimer, I have never installed a garden railroad for anyone, but have included them in my designs for the homeowner to install. The website you have found is a great source of information and friendship. Aristo craft, a large scale manufacturer, also has a great website and forum. aristocraft.com There is also a magazine for the hobby, Garden Railways, which has ads for some installers around the country.

I have a small railroad running through one of my gardens and a large stack of track for a 400' extension when business slows down. I have many friends with garden railroads and attend open houses in the spring to view some fantastic railroads all around the area. In the early spring there is a train show in York, Pa that is exclusively for large scale trains, indoor and out.

Kirk