Gas Cans

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by EricC, May 21, 2019.

1. EricC

EricC LawnSite Senior Member

I did a search, I thought there would be something, but I think I got a hit on every thread other than something to do with gas cans.

So, what do you guys use? I hate this one I have. If I don't hold it open and stick it way down the neck of the mower it sprays all over and takes 5 minutes to put 5 gallons in. I'm in the mood for a new one. Was looking at a "Sure Can" at my local ace. 45 bucks, but if it works better than the POS i've been using it will be money well spent. My old one just doesn't work well with my new mower.

Thanks

2. Jake the grass guy

Jake the grass guy LawnSite Senior Member

i have 2 large 5 gallon sure cans and a 2 gallon for my mix. they work well. i dont use the black downspout much cuz its slow i usually just take it off the wall and dump it in the mower. the small 2 gallon spout i use more. so far im satisfied.

3. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 2.5 gallon no spill brand for mixed gas. I have three VP race cans for other equipment. All the EPA cans suck.

4. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

5. OP
    OP
    EricC

EricC LawnSite Senior Member

I was checking those out too. would you suggest the other nozzle for 25 bucks or is the one it comes with fine? I don't care if it takes a minute or 2 to empty the can, just as long as when i'm holding it to pour, it pours. My other one i have to physically hold the "plunger" in order to get the nozzle far enough down the neck so half of it doesn't end up on my feet, mower and driveway. What doesn't off gas from the can will when it hits my concrete, WTF is the point in that?

hort101 likes this.
  6. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

The one that comes with is the safety spout. You'll have to pull it while it pours. They have the old style for sale if you don't want the safety. I don't even use the spout for filling the mower just dump from can. The trimmers I use the spout but not much of an issue for me. Ymmv

Safety spout comes with can
    https://wavianusa.com/collections/accessories/products/high-flow-fuel-can-safety-spout-html

Non safety spout must buy extra.
    https://wavianusa.com/collections/accessories/products/new-wavian-flexi-nozzle-black-html

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i use the no spill cans. 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon.

CGros31 likes this.
  8. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

Eagle Saftey cans are the cats meow for bigger machines.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  9. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Type 2 safety cans or metal jerry cans are the best IMHO.

10. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

I abandoned using my metal cans because of the dirt buildup in the funnels.

Mudly likes this.