• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Gas Fire Pit Noise

Hayduke

LawnSite Senior Member
We just finished the second of my first two natural gas firepits. They came out great, and I have had no complaints from my clients.
But my problem is that they are just outright loud. The sound of the gas hissing through the plumbing is is kind of overwhelming in my opinion.
The service lines were sized adequately. They are not whistling, it's more of just a loud whooshing sound when the gas is fire up
I am wondering if this is just the nature of gas firepits and normal, as I have not actually seen one anywhere else to compare.
All I can say is, if I were to put one of these at my own place, it better be a lot quieter...
Maybe I can post an audio of what these sound like if anyone hits on this thread. Might take me a few weeks though....

Attachments

OP
Hayduke

Hayduke

LawnSite Senior Member
The gas plumber just said that it's the normal sound of the gas supply. Though I don't think he has that much experience with these firepits, and I wasn't convinced by his assessment. All the connections are fine.
We did not install "vents" but we followed the guidelines for venting the interior by gapping every block 1/8" or so. I did the calculations and this actually adder more vented area than installing two actual vents would have done.

I am wondering if the pressure is too high? I would happily eat the cost of installing a regulator if this would quiet the firepit, but that's probably gonna eat a half a day and $150. Would suck if it made no difference

Youngandfree

LawnSite Silver Member
to put it in h2o terms you have have too many GPM going through too small of a pipe thus the noise. what size line did he run? where is the regulator?
That's what I was thinking. Mybgas grill is not what I would call loud running 5 burners full blast.

OP
Hayduke

Hayduke

LawnSite Senior Member
Is it louder than a gas grill running wide open?
I don't know, I have never had a gas grill, just burn charcoal

to put it in h2o terms you have have too many GPM going through too small of a pipe thus the noise. what size line did he run? where is the regulator?
It is 150,000 BTU, supply line is 3/4". I think the sound is coming from the fire pit hardware. Regulator? I am sure there is a regulator on the main service line ta the meter.

I am going over to that clients soon, I will take video and audio and post it here...

Youngandfree

LawnSite Silver Member
I don't know, I have never had a gas grill, just burn charcoal

It is 150,000 BTU, supply line is 3/4". I think the sound is coming from the fire pit hardware. Regulator? I am sure there is a regulator on the main service line ta the meter.

I am going over to that clients soon, I will take video and audio and post it here...
So they are running natural gas from their meter? Have you had a gas furnace open when the burners light? That's with a regulator on the furnace too.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Silver Member
Did your gas plumber mention needing a regulator or not? First thing in Google