Gas Line for fire pit

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by CrystalCreek, Jun 19, 2018.

1. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

Never did gas line work for a fire pit. Any Pointers? Have a lot of experience with Black pipe and threaded pipe installations but not really sure where to begin on this one. Thiinking maybe subbing it out to a plumber is best?

2. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Silver Member

Will this be run underground? That's supposed to be run in a special polyethylene gas line with special risers.

3. CrystalCreek

Yes, Underground. Pipe exits house above ground as 1" black pipe. The BBQ grill is tapped off at 1/2". Was planning on taking the other tap and running it underground to the pit. Will dig the trench about 18" as per code. Just not sure about the pipe in the trench part.

4. springfield_pest

springfield_pest LawnSite Senior Member

I would sub out to plumber. Let them deal with code and liabilities

BrandonV likes this.
  5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm pretty sure that gas lines are required to be installed by licensed gas fitters (usually a lumber with extra licensing). That is how it works in my state (MA).

hort101 likes this.
  6. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

licenced gas fitter is the correct way. A plumber is capable but not who I would call to install one.

7. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

We have a gas install going in now for an outdoor kitchen. The gas company is running the line. Has to be pressure tested and approved by town. We dug the trench, and cemented a 4x4 post to attach, gas company runs line.

hort101 and BrandonV like this.
  8. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Northern NJ call Ryco Plumbing & Heating 201-248-5443 They do this stuff all the time.

9. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Jersey

I was going to suggest Public Service Electric & Gas. They would send out 8 guys. 2 to do the work and 6 to watch the other two work.

knox gsl and Dawson like this.
  10. CrystalCreek

Easy there buddy. I work for Public Service as a linemen. PSE&G doesn't do gas line work past the meter.

oqueoque likes this.