Lawn Care Forum banner

Gas Mileage, What Truck, Motor, Towing trailer?

8K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  D&F lawnmaster 
#1 ·
Ok, So With the gas crunch, Im looking into a larger truck for some larger jobs.

My f350 diesel gets about 18 or so.

I wanted to know some gas mileage for

Frieghtliner FL60 or 70 (earth turf and wood, answer please.)

Ford F650 with caterpilar diesel

GMC 5500 or 6500 (26kgvw) kodiak with duramax diesel,

Do they all get like 6 to 8 mpg like the guy i asked today? When do u need a cdl, when the truck is over 26k and or when the truck and trailer is over 26?

Thanks

#2 ·
Most of the medium duties will average the same milage.

So there are no exact numbers for a Freightliner vs a Ford.

We have a F-650 with a Cummins, 6sp manual. It gets about 7mpg. Sometimes more.

And really its not so much the engine...its the gear ratio that makes the difference in milage of gasoline.

So many different configurations.

As well as the body. Does it have a full cab protector? And so on.

Really what a buyer needs to be concerned with is things like gear ratio, and CAB to AXLE measurements. Improper cab to axle measurements can cause your truck to eat steering tires if the weight is not properly and evenly dispursed on both the front and rear axle.

Also, dealers are quick to try to sell contractors on Allison transmissions. I had one sales rep tell me "this is the same trans they use in the ambulances!" Well, BFD! When was the last time you say an ambulance loaded with soil and pulling a 7000# skid loader at the same time?!! So you need to make sure the trans will also hold up to a fully loaded truck that is pulling a 3000# trailer with a 7000# skid steer on it.

These trucks are expensive. Annual DOT inspections. And big repair bills.

If you're serious bout a medium duty (26,000 gvw and up), then fuel economy needs to be the least of your concerns!

MD is huge on enforcing DOT laws. Are you up for dealing with that?

Since you're in Annapolis, Cummins Power Systems is in Glen Burnie, which means you're not far from having a full fledged manufacturer authorized facility to service it / work on it.

#3 ·
What he said.

Look at a international too. They make a great truck. I am looking at a used 4600 dump for my next big truck.

Maryland is big on the DOT laws. Unfortunately no one will give me a rule book. :angry: I am praying I did everything right if I get pulled over.

Also how the heck are you getting 18 mpg with a F-350. My F-350 dump 7.3 diesel, 4.10 gears gets 8 to 10 mpg depending on if its towing a trailer or not.

#4 ·
Well, Mbrp exhaust and a AFE stage 2 intake system

It helps, Its a single rear wheel f350 with a dump insert. I am going to look into a 4700 or 4900 Int.

Anyideas how to find out US DOT rules and how to get a DOT number for your truck? Also how much weight puts forces you to use a cdl?

#5 ·
Commercial Driver Licenses (CDL)

CLASS A: Any Tractor/Trailer combination that has a GVWR of 26,001 LBS. or more, provided towed vehicle is more than 10,000 LBS.

CLASS B: Any single motor vehicle that has a GVWR of 26,001 LBS. or more, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle of 10,000 LBS. or less.

CLASS C: Any motor vehicle that has a GVWR of less than 26,001 LBS. when endorsements "H" or "P" would be required on the driver license OR any combination of motor vehicles where the towing vehicle is less than 26,001 LBS. GVWR and the towed vehicle has a GVWR of 10,000 LBS. or less, but together they weigh 26,001 LBS. or more.

As far as DOT number..........over 10K GVW you need one..........
http://ntl.bts.gov/faq/truckdno.html

#6 ·
CrewCutEnterprises said:
Well, Mbrp exhaust and a AFE stage 2 intake system

It helps, Its a single rear wheel f350 with a dump insert. I am going to look into a 4700 or 4900 Int.

Anyideas how to find out US DOT rules and how to get a DOT number for your truck? Also how much weight puts forces you to use a cdl?
O so thats how you get 18 mpg.

Online filing for the DOT number. Takes 20 minutes. 5 days later you get your paper work. But the rules, I have no idea. I wish some one would tell me.

You need one for your F-350 if its towing a trailer. From what I have been told. A buddy of mine was pulled over in his Dodge 3500 with 18' trailer for not having a DOT number. Its only one set of numbers for each company.

#7 ·
"provided towed vehicle is more than 10,000 LBS."

Actually not completely correct!

If you're combo unit (truck and trailer) grosses over 26000#, even if your trailer only weights 3000#, you're still a combo unit, which requires you to have a minimum of a Class A CDL restricted license. The "restricted" means you dont have airbrake endorsement. Which you only need - if you have airbrakes!

26000# and a trailer of any size is the breaking point. There is no "if this or if that" :)

But if you're grossing under 26,000# and if you're pullin a trailer that is factory rated at or OVER 10,000# .....you need a class A CDL!

Any vehicles grossing 10,000# or more - you must have a DOT Medical card. This goes for pick up trucks as well. A pick up weighs at least 7000#. A trailer weighs NO less than 2000#, 1 walk behind is 600#? Add up the weight of gas cans, line trimmers, blowers, passangers, and you're over 10,000#!

#9 ·
99 f250 4x4 crewcab smokewagon. average 12-18 mpg. 12 is with 15k gooseneck, 18 is empty. 14-15 mpg towing skidsteer, mowers, or other light stuff.

subtract 2 mpg without superchips in race mode. it gets better mileage the more you crank up the programmer.
subtract 2 mpg for winter fuel.

#10 ·
DR miller, I would assume you are running a diesel??

#12 ·
I have a 1997 dodge 2500 that get about9 miles per gallon i'm looking to get a foreign dump truck i thinking isuzu npr or a mitsubishi dump with 4X4. i'm assuming they get good milege since there 4 and 6cyc. anyone have one if so what do you think about them and how many miles do you get per gallon. and do you plow with it thanks :cool2:

#13 ·
I know that mit has a pretty nice body-over truck. You can get it in the 4 cylinder desiel with 4 wheel drive. Its a powerful truck and has a lot of weight capacity. Its also great for plowing. Last winter we got 4 feet of heavy snow and it was one of the only trucks that could push it besides a front end loader.

#14 ·
If you're combo unit (truck and trailer) grosses over 26000#, even if your trailer only weights 3000#, you're still a combo unit, which requires you to have a minimum of a Class A CDL restricted license.

26000# and a trailer of any size is the breaking point. There is no "if this or if that" :)

But if you're grossing under 26,000# and if you're pullin a trailer that is factory rated at or OVER 10,000# .....you need a class A CDL! ]/QUOTE]

WrongO on all three counts.

This is an oldie but a goody. :waving:

#15 ·
I bought a 2012 Ford F350, FX4, dully, 6.7. I pull a 24' Enclosed trailer that has two Exmark Lazer Z and a Bad Boy in it and i am getting 14 mpg. I had a 2009 F350 that was getting around 8, but that was a 6.4. When i am not pulling this trailer i am getting 19 mpg. Ford with the new 6.7 is the way to go.

2012 Ford F350, FX4
2012 Bad Boy Outlaw XP 61"
2010 Exmark New Lazer Z (junk) 60"
2009 Exmark Lazer Z 60"
2008 Horton Hauler 24' Enclosed Trailer
All Red Max Blowers, Weed Eaters and Edgers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.