• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

GAs prices and calling it quits

moneyman

LawnSite Member
How many can stay in business if gas gets up to $3 a gallon?

Would you sell your bigger truck and go with a compact pickup or just quit all together.

I thin if gas were to stay at $3 a gallon i would continue to work part time only.I just like working outside.

Metro Lawn

LawnSite Silver Member
189.9 for 87 octane here, 179.9 for diesel

Luscious Lawns

LawnSite Member
I paid 1.52 for diesel yesterday, for the NPR. I also have an S-10 we use to pull a trailor that gets better milage but the load is limited. I do plan schedules and routes to minimise fuel usage. But like I tell the gas man when he hands me pennies change from my hundred dollar bill.. If you're not burning fuel-Then you're not making money.

recliner5

LawnSite Member
People will be cutting their own yards with gas prices with what they are. The good ole days I believe are gone. You have to pay for your equipment. These are not cheap. Thanks Terp

Ax Man

LawnSite Senior Member
I know gas prices are cimbing, and so rates will have to go up as well, but what percentage of your cost of doing business is fuel?
I don't see it putting me under!
This might be a good time to really check your records, and figure out what to charge and why.

scott's turf

LawnSite Senior Member
Originally posted by Ax Man
I know gas prices are cimbing, and so rates will have to go up as well, but what percentage of your cost of doing business is fuel?
I don't see it putting me under!
This might be a good time to really check your records, and figure out what to charge and why.

Last year my gasoline for the mowers was only 5% of our total expenses.

qualitylandscaping

LawnSite Bronze Member
Hey welcome back Si:)

I agree with AX Man... Gas really doesn't affect your price per lawn that much.. If you have a tight route you are maybe driving 100 miles a day.. 100 miles a day @ 12mpg= 8.3gal for the truck.. 8.3gal @ $1.85 per gal is only $15.36.. Add maybe $10.00 to that for mowers and trimmers.. And your looking about $30.00 a day.. If your charging enough, that should only be one lawn and there should never be an issue...