Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at my mid-year balance sheet and, as expected, my fuel expenses are up a whopping 26% over last year. How's your Shell and Conoco bills looking these days? I dread going to the mailbox...what a 2008! Business is good but these damned fuel bills are killing me.

· Registered
701 Posts
I've got a couple of my customers who have added an extra five bucks to my pay without me asking for it. ($40.00 lawns) I've tightened up my route to help compensate for the extra fuel cost. It still is higher than last year, but I'll be increases prices across the board next year.

477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got a couple of my customers who have added an extra five bucks to my pay without me asking for it. ($40.00 lawns) I've tightened up my route to help compensate for the extra fuel cost. It still is higher than last year, but I'll be increases prices across the board next year.
Yes, I'm doing the same next year. All customers this year are "grandfathered in" but any new ones are paying the surcharge...no exceptions. I'm also jacking up my minimum yard charge to $45 per lawn or I'm not interested. Fuel and manpower are too much these days to mess around with $25-35 lawns.

· Registered
15,225 Posts
I'm hanging in there. Yes my fuel bill is up but the percentage of gross is actually going down now that I'm filling my schedule in. The largest portion of my gas bill goes into my truck and I only work in certain areas on certain days. If you get more work in those areas the cost per lawn goes down. I'm also increasing the cost of new jobs by around $5 per. It's covering the fuel increases for now.

· Registered
461 Posts
Last month I added a $10 gas surcharge to most of my customers that I felt I couldnt raise my price on and the others I simply raised the maintenance price $5 per week.

It has really helped me recover my gas costs. nobody complained and one customer said I cant believe you didnt do it earlier.

· Registered
11,100 Posts
All my rates were raised at the beginning of the year. Fuel is a bit higher than last year but my workload is also a lot different. Fuel is starting to come down a bit so that helps a tad. We'll just have to wait and see what winter brings.

· Registered
374 Posts
I had a customer that has done that for the past three years. This year, however; he decided that it only needed to be cut every two weeks right at the start of the year. I can understand that in the middle of the summer when it really didn't grow enough to cut, but not in the first weeks of spring!

Anyways, he got fired! I cut grass, not bail hay!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.