Gas Rebate $.183 Per Gallon

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by stevesmowing, Jan 26, 2008.

  1. stevesmowing

    stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 847

    I'm not sure how many people out there know this so I thought I'd share this information.

    Any business that uses gas for off-road use is eligible for a rebate of $.183 for every gallon used off road. This $.183 is the Federal tax that the government is giving back. :usflag:

    Here is the website with the official tax form.
  2. TLS

    TLS LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 7,943

    Great advice.....I've been doing this all along.

    Wish we could do the same with the State tax!!!!
  3. lawnMaster5000

    lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 591

    In MO we can, check with your state, you probably can too.
  4. Happy Frog

    Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,224

    Sales tax is recovered through equipment depreciation I think.
  5. haybaler

    haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma
    Messages: 511

    were talking road (gas) tax here, not sure what your talking about.
  6. vkurt711

    vkurt711 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 32

    I track the dollars spent on fuel, but not the gallons used. Do you track gallons or do you take total dollars and divide by an average cost to arrive at the gallons used for the form?
  7. zimmatic

    zimmatic LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 416

    not sure if this helps some of you but if you have the capabilities to store bulk gasoline, all you have to do is fill out a form and all state and federal road tax is eliminated except of course sales tax. We do this with diesel, however its easy to know off road diesel since it is red. When my mowers were all gas and I didnt have a stoage tank I did however track gallons and price pain in the ass but when the amount is large its worth it. I still trak for the 21" mowers, and trimmers though. Now that I added a 500 gallon gasoline tank its all off road. The nice thing is I can put it in my wife's car and walla no road tax, and since it is not died a color no problem well not if I get checked up on and questions start to be asked, so I do not use it for on road use. I dont need a hassle.
  8. lawnMaster5000

    lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 591

    You need to keep the fuel receipts to show the exact gallons purchased with each purchase.

    The state of MO requires we submit such receipts when filing the fuel refund forms.
  9. RGM

    RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md
    Messages: 979

    I got to get this to my accountant
  10. stevesmowing

    stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 847

    NYS has a form for state tax too. It's only $.08 a gallon. Still between federal and state its $0.26 a gallon cheaper for the mowers and 2 cycle.

Share This Page