1. Ask the Expert: Fertilization Strategies for Success: Dec. 12, 2017
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: Dec. 12, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Gas writeoff

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Tharrell, May 13, 2005.

  1. Tharrell

    Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,967

    I saw something in another thread about getting the tax on fuel used in our mowers back. Isn't the total fuel bill for mowers and other hand tools deductible like paper clips and stuff? Don't tell me to see a cpa or anything, I want to know what you do.
  2. grass disaster

    grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,752

    keep track of the gallons of fuel used for off-road use. you get the road tax back at the end of the year(or quarter however often you file). just ask you cpa!
  3. surfisher211

    surfisher211 LawnSite Member
    from Jersey
    Messages: 141

    i keep a record of fuel that goes into my work truck and machines as well as oil , antifreeze , trans fluid :) and my accountant works it all in
  4. lawnman_scott

    lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 7,547

  5. GrassBustersLawn

    GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 981

    Keep track of TRUCK GAS and MOWER GAS. You can get the TAX BACK on MOWER GAS (off road use). Totally different then EXPENSING your GAS as a business expense.

    In INDIANA the STATE TAX on gas is 18 cents a gallon & the FED is 18.9, so you get 37.9 cents a gallon back for MOWER GAS. I don't know about you, but it is worth it to me to track the two to save 37.9 cents! It adds up over the season!

  6. Littleriver1

    Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 811

    Didn't help much did it. Someone actually said to talk to a CPA. I clicked on this thread because I wanted to know "the truth about road tax on fuel". I have never seen this question answered here. A little futher on some one will post the Fed web site. Then someone will tell you the name of the form to use but now where to find it. It's like a gov. grant. It's there but, not really.
  7. specialtylc

    specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,656

    But then you cant write off the tax portion. And you open yourself up to a fuel tax audit.
  8. Envy Lawn Service

    Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,087

    Honestly, I believe this is another selling point for diesel mowers.

    Buy the off-road diesel fuel.
    Never pay the tax to begin with.
    Much easier than trying to get it back from uncle sam.
  9. lawnman_scott

    lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 7,547

    I dont know why that link didnt work. But go to www.irs.gov and find the online forms section. The form # is 4136, and you fill in the 1st section of the form. You get about 18 cents back on every gallon used for non road use.
  10. Tharrell

    Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,967

    I don't understand why ALL the cost of fuel for mowers and other hand tools can't be classified as an expense like a PART for a mower would be. Wouldn't you deduct the cost of new tires? You'd keep the receipts for truck fuel if you weren't using the mileage method, right?

Share This Page