gasoline tax refund

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by scott's turf, Nov 12, 2001.

  1. scott's turf

    scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH
    Messages: 949

    I heard that you could be refunded the gasoline state tax if you used it for non-highway use. Do any of you guys do this?
  2. eggy

    eggy LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,085

    You might do a search seems like we touched on this once, and you can If I remeber right.
  3. lawnMaster5000

    lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 591

    there is alot on this if you search, but its still an unclear and complicated process from what i could figure out. Better luck to ya
  4. thelawnguy

    thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,411

    I suppose it depends on your state. In CT, no. You would have to purchase it tax free to begin with, not gonna happen unless you have your own tank. Federal tax, yes.
  5. MOW ED

    MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,028

    I beleive its for diesel only up here or for regular gas if you have a boat.

    OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 555

    yes i do this for gas i use in mowers, talk to your accountant

    many times i will gas up trailers seperate from trucks if not just make a note on th receipt on how much went to mowers/truck and come tax time you can "get it back" so to speak but you will add yet another form to the mix

    but worth it i think i was able to recover around 800$ last year i dont see this in cash but it helps the end result
  7. scott's turf

    scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH
    Messages: 949

    Thanks obryan. I am the accountant as well so I will look into the forms.
  8. cos

    cos LawnSite Addict
    Messages: 1,253

    There is a form that you have to seperately fill out along with your taxes here. You can also purchase gasoline tax free, but I don't have tanks underground. LOL
  9. Ocutter

    Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 314

    I do this. In NJ all you have to do is send for an application. It took a while to get (2 months) and about another 1 to get approved. I separate the receipts and mail in the #s at the end of the month. I see a check 1 mo later. Its not much since I dont do much cutting but it helps.

    OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 555

    the form is #4136

    credit for federal tax paid on fuels

    so i guess you only get fed tax back i bet some of what you pay is state too but not sure

    i would have figured many lco's use this but maybe not!

Share This Page