1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Gate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by one man gang, Mar 20, 2006.

1. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

I just got a call from a new cust.( got her late last year, didn't even cut it)and she wanted to know how wide I needed her to make the gate in her back yard. I remember her telling me she would do that but I didn't think she would. Has that ever happened to anyone else? she's paying the going rate($35) so it's not cause I'm cheap.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We've had customers actually do that, too. tell her to put as wide of a gate as she can.

3. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Ive had numerous customers change their gates for me to accomodate at least a 48 inch mower. Its nice that I dont have to pull the 36 off the trailer except maybe 4 times during the week.

4. one man gang

from N. In.

How bout it, I hate pulling off two at a stop. I find that there's still a lot of yards I can't get my 36 in. If thats the case and I can't pull the chain link to the side I turn down the work. Last year I accepeted a couple where I had to use a 20" and I only lasted two cuts. It's too much when your alone.

5. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

If a backyard needs a 36 or smaller and its to big Ill either turn it down or overbid the heck out of it. I just cant waste the time.

6. TripleTsLawnCare

TripleTsLawnCare LawnSite Member

I have gave customers two prices, one for the small gate they have now. Then I give them the option to pay me 200.00 and I will put a wider gate in and then give them a lower monthly price. Seems to work pretty good. Most people will pay to have a wider gate put in. Works for me.

7. one man gang

from N. In.

Interesting, what's the difference in price?

8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I always quote 2 prices when there's a narrow gate. Gave a lady a bid of $35/wk if she had the gate widened, and $45/wk if it stayed the way it is. Unfortunately they took me up on the higher price and I ended up push mowing that back yard all last summer. Crap! I hate mowing that lawn.

9. one man gang

from N. In.

I hear ya, even though I started in Chicago with the small push mowers for 2 years I just can't bring my self to use them any more. Must be getting old

10. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I have taken a wooden fence section and cut off the ears that fit into the posts, and then hang the fence onto the posts.