Gathering equipment for new adventure

IngramLawnCare

LawnSite Member
Would you give a little info on why? Using a push mower in any situation or doing whole properties? Seems like a proper pricing would allow proper profits.
Since you are trying to make margin on your labor why would you choose a piece of equipment i.e. property, which to cut takes the longest time. There are a lot of properties which do not require a push mower. Quote and cut them. If you are determined to use a push mower time yourself and measure your productivity versus one (property) on a larger machine. We do not have any properties which use a push mower.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
Since you are trying to make margin on your labor why would you choose a piece of equipment i.e. property, which to cut takes the longest time. There are a lot of properties which do not require a push mower. Quote and cut them. If you are determined to use a push mower time yourself and measure your productivity versus one (property) on a larger machine. We do not have any properties which use a push mower.
I’ve heard about customers requesting 21” mowers and paying dearly for it. I have a guy who couldn’t get any companies to mow a 10’x10’ area on the side of his house because they couldn’t get their ztr’s there. I could have taxed him hard for me going through the “trouble” of using my 21” but it’s such a non issue to me that I just charge him normal. I get $50 a week and it takes me just over 25 minutes to do, solo. $2 a minute isn’t profitable? I should just pass on what I find to be a very easy yard? If he wanted the whole lawn pushed it would be $100 and I’d be done in 40 minutes. This continues to puzzle me.
Of course I’m still new and growing and hungry but using my 21 in a ditch or a side yard is faster and looks better than string trimming that stuff. From my perspective I’m more efficient because I’ll pull the pusher off for 3 minutes.

Brucey

LawnSite Silver Member
If you can charge enough to justify using a push mower and generate the same revenue per minute/hour as say using the 636 then by all means carry on. As you are solo and focused on smaller properties it doesn't make sense to drop the push. Now for a two or three man crew with a couple of big mowers and tandem trailer, then a push mow lawn wouldn't be a good fit.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
If you can charge enough to justify using a push mower and generate the same revenue per minute/hour as say using the 636 then by all means carry on. As you are solo and focused on smaller properties it doesn't make sense to drop the push. Now for a two or three man crew with a couple of big mowers and tandem trailer, then a push mow lawn wouldn't be a good fit.
I think somehow I come across as liking using my 21”, or even selling it as a service. I would always prefer to not use it, just like I would prefer not to string trim or anything else that doesn’t involve rolling around on the Deere. But, I string trim, edge and trim bushes, all things that I dislike doing. So using a 21 for a few minutes here and there is just a tool to make the job easier in some very specific situations.
Trying to see the bigger picture, I look at how I don’t advertise anymore on yards that have ditches or anything else I decided I don’t want to do. I also can’t wait for the day when I can replace my less desirable properties with nice wide open yards in the nice subdivisions. So, I guess I can understand people refusing to have a 21” on the trailer, y’all hate push mowing, and that’s cool. I on the other hand capitalize on this, almost no one is willing to do it and it makes me look like a really hardworking dedicated guy. And it doesn’t bother me to use one. There will be a point in my future when I don’t have to take yards that a pusher is useful on in places but right now there’s much worse stuff in my mind than using a 21 for a sec.

Last edited:

Top Forums