Gator Blades all year long?

OP
NewVision

NewVision

LawnSite Senior Member
Best for leaves are sharp high lifts.

G6 all year long, just made the switch to G5’s and love them.
Thanks for the info! I'm going to try a brand new set of oem high lifts and check the clippings results. Then I'll run a set of brand new G3's and see which I prefer for everyday use here in Georgia.

OP
NewVision

NewVision

LawnSite Senior Member
Leaf time for me I run wavy mulchers and low lift gator type blades stacked on top each other in a X or T pattern In conjunction with a Qwikchute blocker. G5‘s cause too much blowout out the front while the chutes closed . The other blades work better for my setup.
I definitely have to grab a Qwikchute. I've noticed that mulching kits are getting less and less popular. In my area that's all we do, no bagging, but without a full mulch kit. I'm debating buying the Toro Mulch Kit.

fatboynormmie

LawnSite Bronze Member
Yeah….I side discharge all season long. When I do leaves I side discharge too. The lawns are cleaned up weekly and I start the lawn by blowing all the leaves out of the nooks and crannies and into the largest area of the yard. Then one of us hops on the mower and starts side discharging with my leaf blade set up starting from the outside of the lawn and work our way to the middle blowing the leaves inward.

The leaves a this point are mulched up pretty good and piled in the middle . I then shut the qwikchute and mulch over the middle section a few more times till the leaves are pulverized. Then we blow the clippings outward with the chute open to dispense the pulverized leaves out of the middle of the lawn to not over choke the center of the lawn. At this point we are also using blowers to move things around too. Then the final step I cut over the lawn like I’m trying to stripe it and when I’m done the lawns look like freshly mowed green grass and leafless. This method works great for me.

I keep cutting all my lawns like this till there are no more leaves on theirs or their neighbors trees which keeps me busy into Dec. here in Md.

OP
NewVision

NewVision

LawnSite Senior Member
Yeah….I side discharge all season long. When I do leaves I side discharge too. The lawns are cleaned up weekly and I start the lawn by blowing all the leaves out of the nooks and crannies and into the largest area of the yard. Then one of us hops on the mower and starts side discharging with my leaf blade set up starting from the outside of the lawn and work our way to the middle blowing the leaves inward.

The leaves a this point are mulched up pretty good and piled in the middle . I then shut the qwikchute and mulch over the middle section a few more times till the leaves are pulverized. Then we blow the clippings outward with the chute open to dispense the pulverized leaves out of the middle of the lawn to not over choke the center of the lawn. At this point we are also using blowers to move things around too. Then the final step I cut over the lawn like I’m trying to stripe it and when I’m done the lawns look like freshly mowed green grass and leafless. This method works great for me.

I keep cutting all my lawns like this till there are no more leaves on theirs or their neighbors trees which keeps me busy into Dec. here in Md.
You have a great plan of how you do thing. So you dont use a mulch kit, just blades and Qwikchute?

OP
NewVision

NewVision

LawnSite Senior Member
I copy his plan, and use a powered chute.
The majority of my yards are small to medium which is why I hardly ever side discharge. This is the reason why I was looking into the mulch kit. So my options are mulch kit or switch between high lifts and Gator Blades with a Grassflap.

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
The majority of my yards are small to medium which is why I hardly ever side discharge. This is the reason why I was looking into the mulch kit. So my options are mulch kit or switch between high lifts and Gator Blades with a Grassflap.
I ran a mulch kit in yrs past. Works great, but if it gets heavy it can't keep up(grass or leaves). Side discharging if its heavy i can discharge the excess and then give a 2nd cut to clean up.

OP
NewVision

NewVision

LawnSite Senior Member
I ran a mulch kit in yrs past. Works great, but if it gets heavy it can't keep up(grass or leaves). Side discharging if its heavy i can discharge the excess and then give a 2nd cut to clean up.
Ahh okay, I understand. So I'll go with the oem highlifts and gator blades with the grassflap.

gardiner

LawnSite Senior Member

I'm close to this .
I'm solo. I quit spending so much time blowing into the middle.
Once you get them out of tight spots. Pavement & whatnot.
I start striping the lawn.
Using a full deck. Then a half deck.
The stripes shows on the half deck pass.
Once I get to the property line. I go back the opposite way. A few passes.
Drive by a hour later. Many leaves have already fallen.
All of them are done weekly. Till mid December.

Top Forums