Gator Blades

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Forest Depot has G3 and G5 for literally pennies more, what did you recommend G5? I will weigh my factory high lift mower blades and see what they weigh for comparison. However, I do not see a weight listed for these blades on Forest Depot.
Because the G5/6 blades have a longer cutting edge and the fusion treatment that does help them stay sharp longer, and unless you can see all the specs for your particular model number of G3 and make sure they have the same lift as the G5 blades, you may end up disappointed with them. I bought mine because I knew the set I needed for sure had as much lift and they don't make a G5 for that particular machine due to its age.

Almost all riders use blades that are .203" - 205" thick, or heavier like mine at .250". The only added weight would come from the G5 being a half inch wider, which would only add a few ounces per blade, and with the serrated sails, shouldn't make the machine work any harder unless they have much more lift than your oem blades.

OP
Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
Because the G5/6 blades have a longer cutting edge and the fusion treatment that does help them stay sharp longer, and unless you can see all the specs for your particular model number of G3 and make sure they have the same lift as the G5 blades, you may end up disappointed with them. I bought mine because I knew the set I needed for sure had as much lift and they don't make a G5 for that particular machine due to its age.

Almost all riders use blades that are .203" - 205" thick, or heavier like mine at .250". The only added weight would come from the G5 being a half inch wider, which would only add a few ounces per blade, and with the serrated sails, shouldn't make the machine work any harder unless they have much more lift than your oem blades.

I went ahead and ordered a set of G5's from Forest Depot. I hate to be picky but I do not like a lot of their website either. After I submitted my order I tried to navigate the site to see what they were about and most of the links and stuff were broken. I guess if they get my blades here in good condition they will easily beat Red Dog Supplies, which by the way I have yet to hear from.

I will also update on what my factory blades weigh as well if any cares. The only problem is I only have used blades so it could make the measurement slightly inaccurate but like you said if they are only a couple ounces it will not bother me. To be honest, I am hoping they weigh less than my factory blades so I am not constantly worrying about it.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I went ahead and ordered a set of G5's from Forest Depot. I hate to be picky but I do not like a lot of their website either. After I submitted my order I tried to navigate the site to see what they were about and most of the links and stuff were broken. I guess if they get my blades here in good condition they will easily beat Red Dog Supplies, which by the way I have yet to hear from.

I will also update on what my factory blades weigh as well if any cares. The only problem is I only have used blades so it could make the measurement slightly inaccurate but like you said if they are only a couple ounces it will not bother me. To be honest, I am hoping they weigh less than my factory blades so I am not constantly worrying about it.
What mower are these going on? I can't recall/keep up with everyone on here LOL

OP
Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
First off, I know this scale is not 100% accurate but it does do a pretty good job. So my conclusion is my factory high lift blades seem to weigh just slightly less than the Oregon G5's and the Oregon high lift blades I bought seem to be a good deal lighter than both. Also this estimate could be inaccurate because this factory blade is used. I also scraped all the crap off of it as well. I think if I would have left it on there it would have probably weighed more than the Oregon G5 blades. You might also say this previous statement is accurate because when the factory blade was new it had more material (metal, coating, etc) than it does now.

Ferris Factory High Lift Blade = 42.6 ounces

Oregon Gator G5 596-344 = 43.9 ounces

Oregon High Lift 91-622 = 37.2 ounces

If anyone is reading this for whatever reason keep in mind this is for a 52" deck and the blades are 18" long with a 5/8" center hole.
thumbnail_Image (26).jpg
thumbnail_Image (31).jpg
thumbnail_Image (32).jpg

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
There's not enough difference in weight there (even if the scale is dead on) to even begin to think about, let alone worry about. My guess is the Oregon HL blades are lighter because they are made of a different material than your oem HL's, or possibly your oem's are .205" thick and the Oregon's are .203" thick.

I have posted pics on here of my oem blades, and G6's sitting on a very accurate postal scale that goes up to 50 lbs. There's several ounces difference between the oem's and the G's. The oem's are heavier. I have never worried about the weight, but posted it for a guy that kept insisting that the G6's were heavier than the JD oem blades.

OP
Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
There's not enough difference in weight there (even if the scale is dead on) to even begin to think about, let alone worry about. My guess is the Oregon HL blades are lighter because they are made of a different material than your oem HL's, or possibly your oem's are .205" thick and the Oregon's are .203" thick.

I have posted pics on here of my oem blades, and G6's sitting on a very accurate postal scale that goes up to 50 lbs. There's several ounces difference between the oem's and the G's. The oem's are heavier. I have never worried about the weight, but posted it for a guy that kept insisting that the G6's were heavier than the JD oem blades.

To confirm though, the G6 blades are considerably heavier than the G5 blades though right? I just measured these blades and my calipers are not perfect either but it is immediately noticeable that both of the Oregon blades are the same thickness while my factory blades are thicker.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
To confirm though, the G6 blades are considerably heavier than the G5 blades though right? I just measured these blades and my calipers are not perfect either but it is immediately noticeable that both of the Oregon blades are the same thickness while my factory blades are thicker.
Yes, the 6 is heavier than the 5. I mentioned them because the 6 is the same exact thickness as my oem blades....250". Like I said though, it doesn't matter unless you are under powered, because all those blades are close in weight. The height and steepness of the sail makes a much bigger difference than a few oz of weight.

I run G5's because they have ever so slightly more lift than the G6 since the G5 is thinner and both are the same height when laid nnnnnnext to each other on a flat bench top. Plus, the G5's are lighter and spin up fatser when going through tall, thick grass like we have this time of year. They also seem to cut cleaner in grass that is seeding out like it is now here in my area.

OP
Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
Yes, the 6 is heavier than the 5. I mentioned them because the 6 is the same exact thickness as my oem blades....250". Like I said though, it doesn't matter unless you are under powered, because all those blades are close in weight. The height and steepness of the sail makes a much bigger difference than a few oz of weight.

I run G5's because they have ever so slightly more lift than the G6 since the G5 is thinner and both are the same height when laid nnnnnnext to each other on a flat bench top. Plus, the G5's are lighter and spin up fatser when going through tall, thick grass like we have this time of year. They also seem to cut cleaner in grass that is seeding out like it is now here in my area.

So something that I just noticed is the G5 is definitely a little wider than the other two. I remember you mentioning to keep an eye on this because the extra width could cause them to come into contact under the deck. The wing my be at enough of an angle on these to help clear the other blade though. However, it definitely has me a little worried.

thumbnail_Image (44).jpg

Top Forums