Gator Blades

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
If you go back to that post though, you'll also see where I mentioned that blades are measured diagonally, so they should not touch ever if they are the correct part number for your machine. The thing about a wider blade touching is more in regards to using a different blade than what is recommended for your machine, as in, when I run Scag blades under a JD etc.

You're overthinking things here LOL Just enjoy your new lades and let us know what you think of them once you use them.

Richard Carey

LawnSite Member
I only use gator blades on all my mowers year-round, I run JD (6) 997rear discharge, and a (1) JD 9000 (golf all terrain cut), we change blades out weekly, sometimes sooner. Cut 300 acres each week. Indispensable in leaf season, where we change blades out daily. Grass and leaves mulch up finely enough not to collect.

OP
Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
Is the JD 9000 a forage harvestor?
No he is probably talking about the John Deere 9009A All Terrain Cut. I have always wanted to look into a rear discharge mower as well (The first one he is talking about). It would make mowing some of my properties much easier. Most of the properties I cut are 3/4 of an acre. I have ones that are more but most of them are that size.

I went with a 52" deck on my Ferris rather than the generic 61". It is bittersweet but definitely glad I did it. There are a lot of places that I can get the 52" in that I could never hope to get a 61". However, when I am mowing wide open space I do wish that I had something larger. We cut a couple properties that are mostly wide open. A 61" would save me a little time but I am happy with what I have.

OP
Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox

LawnSite Senior Member
This is probably best suited for another topic but I have always worried about cut quality on a rear discharge as well. Running the side discharge with high lift blades has always gotten me complimented relentlessly.

We are also constantly hitting stuff over here regardless of how much we pick up, it is just inevitable. I guess the plus side of that is that a rock or something is much less likely to go flying off with a rear discharge. Then again it could keep the rock under the deck lower and wreck havoc too.

Ferris is now offering the rear discharge decks but the engine stays the same. I would like to see some more horsepower on something that is going to keep grass clippings under the deck a little longer, especially if I decide to run gator blades permanently.

Top Forums