• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

gators, quality of cut

I was thinking of trying the gator blades. I would use them all year long. I switch back and forth from side discharge too bagging. How is the quality of cut with them , compared to the standard exmark blades.
thanks
mike:cool:

Rhett

LawnSite Bronze Member
Daughter picked up the wrong blades for my 36 metro. Had to suffer thru two sets of gators. I only mulch and the cut was way below that of wich the exmark standard mulching blades provided. Many of the properties I had to double cut to make the clippings disappear

rodfather

LawnSite Fanatic
I love Gators for mulching and doing leaves in the fall...but I'm not too crazy about using them in the spring when the grass is thick and lush. The Gators will chop the grass up too much and make it harder to disperse and broadcast the clippings evenly IMO. In the spring, we like to use a high lift blade.

Originally posted by rodfather
I love Gators for mulching and doing leaves in the fall...but I'm not too crazy about using them in the spring when the grass is thick and lush. The Gators will chop the grass up too much and make it harder to disperse and broadcast the clippings evenly IMO. In the spring, we like to use a high lift blade.

Rodfather pretty well states it.Great for fall but I won't use them in the spring.Plus you can't sharpen the gators as much

VnDrWLawnCare

LawnSite Member
I run high lifts throughout most of the year, but would like to break down some of those clippings in the spring. Would it be stupid to run high lifts but on the spindle next to discharge shut run a high lift and a gator. Would this be too risky. Is it a possibliltiy that i could screw up that one spindle.

I have a Lesco 48" hydro with a new 18 hp Kohler

thanks
eric

tiedeman

LawnSite Fanatic
We use nothing but gator mulchers during the fall