• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

GCV160 on a Honda HRX217?

ackack

LawnSite Member
I got a decent HRX217HMA deck for next to nothing . It has a busted GCV190. I have a spare GCV160 & wondering if it can replace the GCV190. I know the 190 is a bit more powerful but the 160 is no slouch. So far I have determined that the crank on both seems to have the same dimensions. Thus, I may be able to bolt the clutch/blade holder onto the replacement 160. The donor 160 has 3/8" threaded bolt holes for attachment to the deck vs. a smaller metric size on the 190 but I can buy 3/8" bolts of the right length to replace the metric ones. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has attempted this Franken-swap or otherwise has an opinion.

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
Should work fer ya.
Make sure the crank length from the mounting flange is the same on both, right ?

OP
A

ackack

LawnSite Member
Should work fer ya.
Make sure the crank length from the mounting flange is the same on both, right ?
Good point. Unless I missed something, they seem to be identical. Here they are side by side; 160 on left, 190 on right I copied these from Honda's site.

upload_2020-7-20_11-45-12.png

OP
A

ackack

LawnSite Member
Well, I did it & it works fine. The GCV160 has enough power to move this heavy beast of a mower and the transmission turned out to be good. Had to sacrifice the throttle & blade stop clutch because the donor GCV160 is from a Husqvarna mower that had neither. The GCV190 crankcase that is original to this HRX217HMA was cast with threaded inserts to which the clutch & throttle are attached. Thus, my Husqvarna donor had no way to accept those parts. No worries though; most of us run our engines at full rpm anyway & the clutch is an okay feature but not critical by any means. The job wan't a snap & there is a lot more to the swap than I originally anticipated. Won't go into detail at this time because there was only one reply to this post so that tells me that not too many of you are contemplating this type of deck rescue. Here's a picture:

HRX160.jpg

44DCNF

LawnSite Silver Member
Go ahead and post. Replies may be low or nil, but surely many who viewed appreciated it. It interested me. I have the 800 Husqv all wheel with the 160, so I paid attention.

good job! on the transfer

OP
A

ackack

LawnSite Member
Update. Well, I am struggling a bit with this mod after all. I was able to install the throttle from the donor, but after a month of on & off use, the mower has trouble maintaining the rpms that I set with a tach at about 3180. When I engage the transmission it dips rapidly by about 120 rpm & then when I hit healthy bermuda it falls down even further to 2880 or so. I suspect that Honda put the GCV190 on it's HRX217 line for a reason; that is, HRX's are heavy, heavy. My manual says that mine is 104 lbs. vs 69 for the GCV160-powered HRR216, for example. I also suspect that the transmission on the HRX, while very strong, requires more help from the engine in order to do its job. Anyway, I am not giving up yet. Maybe the governor is the problem. I'm going to check that next.

OP
A

ackack

LawnSite Member
I switched back to the GCV160 carb with the attached choke lever & dialed in the rpms at 3100 with a tach. Now runs great. Don't know why the manual choke/throttle from the HRX caused varying rpm issues or even if that was the problem. Somehow though the manual choke & the governor didn't seem to get along together when used with the gcv160. I don't really care. As I said the mower runs super and the GCV160 seems to have just as much power as the 190 to propel the heavy HRX.