• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

GCV190 surges

ackack

LawnSite Member
Friend brought a GCV190 from a pressure washer. Runs on first pull but surges like mad unless choked. Cleaned carb that was on it & tried two known good carbs but still surges. Gaskets in good shape & governor is set right. Air leak from somewhere maybe? Don't have a leak down tester but maybe could borrow one. Any suggestions?

Andrew Drapper

LawnSite Member
If you put a little pressure the govenor does it then run smoothly?

Other than that, it sounds like the fuel system. either air where you should have fuel or not enough fuel where there could be more.

If thee carbs are giving the same trouble and two "known good" look before and after the carb, inlet manifold and gasket, dirty air cleaner?

OP
A

ackack

LawnSite Member
Yes that sheet is great. What struck me was that newer carbs evidently have a pilot screw for adjustment of some sort; I'm guessing RPM's maybe? Reason that this is new to me is because I haven't bought a new machine of any type in over a decade. Thus, my older GCV160's & 190's don't have a pilot screw. Is it an RPM adjuster? A way to increase or decrease rpm's instead of bending the governor lever and putting tension on the spring? I just don't know so I'd be grateful for some insight.