• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

gear or hydro walkbehind

Mr DanO

LawnSite Member
:confused: Which is a better mower for all around use a gear drive or a hydro? I have been told by three of the dealers that I have been talking to that I should go with the hydro , now another dealer says to go with the gear drive.

metro-hp_48

LawnSite Senior Member
Only you can decide which is better, for you. All comes down to personal preference. Be prepared for many votes for both.
I would say hydro, if you have alot of hills. Just my opinion. I like both. Try both if you can. That choice, is the one you have to live with.

metro-hp_48

LawnSite Senior Member
As an after thought, I would rather have a hydro/ bull rider type (fixed) sulkie than a belt/ Jungle Wheels as far as reversing.

gogetter

Banned
Your best bet is to go back to those dealers and ask to demo different mowers. Then YOU can decide what is best for you.

All you're going to get here is a different opnion from just about everybody. There isn't a right or wrong answer.
I know what I prefer, but that won't really help you much.

Plus there is a pretty good price difference between the two, so your budget may be the deciding factor.

Good luck.

Tomprevette

LawnSite Member
We have had great success with the Lesco 48" and 52" Hydro's in seven years running them we have had very few problems. The guys that have worked with other gear units swear that the hydro's are faster and better. If you don't mind the extra expense it seems that they have better resale and there are no belts to slip when it's wet.:D

Fareway Lawncare

LawnSite Silver Member
Gear vs. hydro is hardly a matter of personal preference. There is nothing to prefer about a gear drive.

This is solely a matter of personal finances.