1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

General Liability Insurance?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by T.Brandon, Feb 13, 2009.

1. T.Brandon

T.Brandon LawnSite Senior Member

In order to get General liability insurance do I have to obtain my state horticulture license?

2. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about your state, but there is nothing like that in Jersey.

3. T.Brandon

Meaning? That I do need my Horticulutre license to carry G.L

4. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Well, what I mean is what is this horticulture license? Is it a pesticide license or is a BS license that the state made up just to charge you money? I don't think you need any kind of license to get G.L. I don't remember if I even had to show them my incorporation papers or not. But like I was getting at in my first reply, I could be wrong because it could vary state to state.

5. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy LawnSite Member

Most insurance agents could care less, go tell them (Not ask) that you need a quote for General Liability Insurance for a Landscaping Business with chemical application. You will get lot's of response back, they could care less if you have a license

6. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

No, in Louisiana you do not need a hort. lic. to get GL insurance..all they need is a rundown of your services and how many employees you have and just general info about your business....that's it.

7. T.Brandon

Thanks for the info, and I'm guessing thats what the horticulutre license is a money racket

8. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

To get the license in some states you need to have proof of gl.

You need a pulse to get gl Big difference.

9. T.Brandon

How much would I been looking at yearly for general liability

10. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I believe, depending on the area...that you will pay around $600-$800 a year.