General manager from hell

beachtownlawnservice

LawnSite Member
So i have been maintaining a really nice H.O.A / Condo's for the past year and a half. I have had a great working relationship with the H.O.A , I receive nothing but complements from the homeowners and board members. Well about six months ago they hired a new General Manager.. this lady came in with a really bad attitude. she is just down rite rude,snooty,bitchy never has anything nice to say nor a smile on her face. A few months back they had a irrigation system installed on the property, ( no i don't do irrigation systems yet, but i did just pass the basic course and i will be taking my state exam shortly) well The G.M and i was discussing some things outside one day and this lady straight up told me that she wanted to bring in her own lawn maintenance crew from the last complex she worked at. and when she brought it up to the H.O.A board they shot her idea down because they are happy with me. she Had the nerve to say (It must be some kind of island thing) (yes i live on a island) This lady is a trip. well today we received payment from last month and it was short, no problem it happens i understand it go's through accounting we just wanted to correct the issue, so my wife calls the office (my wife handles all my billing) and this G.M just tears into my wife. just chews her out , made my wife dam near cry.. All because i cut the property on a Wednesday???:hammerhead: W.T.F??? this lady went on and on how i am only to maintain the property on Thursdays??? We have NEVER discussed this. Here's the kicker I'm a fireman i work 24hrs on 48hrs off. this was discussed with the H.O.A board when i started the contract In fact it was a a major bonus on ,my part. being a local business local fireman.and i discussed with the board i have a rotating schedule and i wont be there the same day each week. everyone was fine with it and it hasn't't been a problem for the past year and a half. So the G.M tells my wife i have to be there on Thursdays only from now on!! That she has been a general manager for a long time and she never heard of a lawn guy that cant come the same day each week!! my wife explained i have a rotating schedule and she can give her a schedule for what days i will be out to maintain the property from now on. The G.M was very rude and said ( IL THINK ABOUT IT!! AND HUNG UP ON MY WIFE)
:hammerhead: So did i mention i live on a island? I am friends with a really nice lady who happens to be married to the president of the H.O.A. So i give the president a call and explain my grievance and he said ( THE PLACE LOOKS GREAT!! EVERYONE IS HAPPY!! I DON'T CARE WHAT DAY YOU WANT TO COME. JUST KEEP DOING WHAT YOUR DOING BECAUSE EVERYTHING !!LOOKS GREAT!!! I'L GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS!!) sorry about this long rant I'm just frustrated what should i do or how should i handle this G.M?? I cant be there Thursdays only. i have a crew i could send but I'm so dam anal i don't let them do any commercials on there own. i don't know why but i like to be on site of my big contracts and make sure everything is absolutely perfect!!

OP
B

beachtownlawnservice

LawnSite Member
Yes i did mention the lite check. I don't believe it was a G.M issue it is a accounting issue. it has happened before and it is always immediatly resolved. i have no doubt about payment. my main concern is the G.M . the only reason my wife called was to bring the payment to attention so it could be passed onto accounting but the G.M didn't even let my wife finish a sentence. Funny side note. when i left the property today i was thinking to myself how great everything looks now. when i started the property it was a mess full of weeds, bare spots, unkept beds, i put them on a fert program (yes i have a license) i have 95% of all weeds knocked out.i spot sprayed some Celsius today hoping to be 100% weed free in 7-14 days. the place has a extremely thick plush perfectly manicured lawn (thank you. john deere/lesco ) the beds have a perfect edge i make my guys pick up any dead leaves, limbs in the beds and rake the mulch on every visit to keep it looking fresh . the place looks amazing

Patriot Services

LawnSite Fanatic
I smell a kickback to her from "her lawn crew". I serve on our architectual commitee and they cleaned house a couple years back. Seems a few people noticed that the LCO that did crappy work on the grounds under a 5!!!! Year contract also did all the "fab 5 board members" lawns. Turns out all the fert and other supplies were diverted and nobody could produce proof of payment for the personal lawn care.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr.NewEarth

LawnSite Bronze Member
Try dealing with 50 property managers a month. There are always late payments, missing payments, broken contracts, fighting, arguing ....and it's always the landscapers fault?

Roger

LawnSite Fanatic
"Past performance is no assurance of future earnings, " or so how the saying goes.

Somebody made a decision to hire the GM. I presume it is the Board. They had reason to believe she was the one to be given responsibility for doing the job of the GM. If not, why hire her?

While some may be understanding of your rotating shifts with the fire department, this is of no concern to the GM. She is the one charged with the responsibility, and has the authority to make the rules and schedules. If she is doing a poor job in the mind of the Board, then it is their task to see her removed and somebody else put in her place. Until then, ...

It sounds like the ball is in your court. Either you play by her rules, or don't play. Remember who has the title of buyer, who has title of seller. She undoubtedly has many choices on where to buy services (you know that she already knows this). As a contractor, you have many places to peddle your services. Sometimes there is a match, sometimes there is no match.

hammmerhead

LawnSite Senior Member
Record every phone conversation you have with her. Then show up at the next HOA meeting and play it for the President. You need to expose her and let the owners know what a vile POS she is.

OP
B

beachtownlawnservice

LawnSite Member
I see your point, i understand she is in charge of the day to day operations, but making a only Thursday rule , when i have been maintaining the property on wed-thurs-fri, schedule for the past year and a half is kinda unprofessional on her part knowing that is impossible for me, at least i think so. The H.O.A and i have had this understanding about my schedule sense day one. I know that she wants her crew to come in and shes throwing a fit about anything she can to get me out and them in. my contract is good until august (the way it fell when i started) and i have the dates on my quickbooks that shows all the weds-thurs-fri. i have maintained the property with no issues of Thursdays rule only before. yesterday was the first i heard of the Thursday only rule..

hammmerhead

LawnSite Senior Member
Try to keep things simple and just let your buddy the Pres. know whats going on. If he cant nip the issue and make it go away, type up letters explaining what the future holds for your services and make sure all the home owners get a copy.
Make sure you include how you are a local fireman and due to the fact you are responding to every ambulance call in the community helping others that your services have to be done on various dates. Also let them know the new management may not tollerate this for reasons unexplained.

I would keep cool and stay above her as long as I could. When she fails to renew the contract then I would go all "Liberal Ninja" on her azz and do everything in my power to expose and create havoc between her, the HOA officers and of course, all the home owners.

You might want to send out Christmas cards to all the officers and the other owners if you have not already!

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
This is pretty easy you either play by her rules or she will make you life a living hell to the point you will want out. You don't have much chance as it is since she wants to bring her person. And it is simple why she wants to do that she trust them and don't know didde about you. She can lose the account if the property looks bad. So if you stay and get your way on Thrusday then expect a weekly call about something you missed. And the first time you say I can't do that then goodbye. She will cook up a reason why it needs to be done on Wednesday. Property can be your best friend if you are growing a business.