1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Get on the stick with mulching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc Pete, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I’ve only been about 3 weeks into mulching leaves for the first time ever. As with anything else though, I’ve gone off the deep end trying to make things more efficient.
    First off, a rider with spindle driven blower is the way to do for collecting the leaves. I’ve been mulching the leaves first, and then bagging and I’ve been compacting about 5 to 1 over just bagging. What you do afterwards is another topic.
    OK, so is it me or would a super high powered rider, running double or triple gator magnums with a spindle driven blower with a second mulching blade on the blower behind the first one, be “to die for”??? I ask you………………….
    I’ve been able to compact the leaves down so far between mulching first and the spindle bagging, that I know I could get away with depositing the leftover stuff from a complete lawn it 3 or 4 homeowner leaf bags. In fact, I've been doing 1/2 acre properties and ending up with just one 45 gallon garbage can.
    Thoughts????????????
    Pete

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

If I had a lot of leaf cleanups, this would sound like a killer setup. With the few regular leaf cleanups that I have, I am doing rather well with gator highlifts and an accelerator catcher. The best I can tell I'm getting about a 4 or 5 to 1 ratio. Still a heck of a lot better than blowing and tarping IMO.