1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

    Dismiss Notice

geting a tax i.d # any help ????pls

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stingray, Apr 3, 2008.

  1. stingray

    stingray LawnSite Member
    Messages: 52

    hi i tryed to get a tax i.d #. but the state of mi told me i did not need one in this state is that true. ? and if so i do i get one thx to all for the help
  2. DrGreenThumb

    DrGreenThumb LawnSite Member
    Messages: 30

    Im in Rhode Island and im wondering if I need one too please help.
  3. lawnwizards

    lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,439

    when i turned my business into a LLC, i was told that i do need a tax i.d. number. who knows. may just be a state to state thing.
  4. Mark Bogart

    Mark Bogart LawnSite Member
    Messages: 174

    Tax ID# is federal. Some banks require it in order to open a business account. It's like a SS# for businesses.
  5. Grott

    Grott LawnSite Member
    from MI
    Messages: 55

    Any Employees Stingray?

    What type of business? Sole Proprietor, Partnership, LLC, Corp.?

  6. stingray

    stingray LawnSite Member
    Messages: 52

    no employees sole prorietor no llc or corp i have a d.b.a thow
  7. PerfectEarth

    PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,734

    Go here-


    Seriously, no offense, but use the internet. It's not that hard.
    You might have to register with your state also- I not only have an EIN but I have an account number with the Revenue Dept. here in KY. Check your Stae's website under "Business" or something to that effect.
  8. jasdebcr

    jasdebcr LawnSite Member
    Messages: 21

    I have had commercial jobs asked for a tax I.D. # before i just gave them my SSN. the reason is that i then have only one tax return. i can also use the deductions agianst my personal tax return. my wife is a cpa. she knows all of the ins and outs of that theving goverment. i hate taxs.
  9. Grott

    Grott LawnSite Member
    from MI
    Messages: 55

    It is not needed in MI as a sole prop. When you want to start hiring employees, you will need it. You can open a bank account with a copy of your DBA and your SSN.

    Good luck

  10. stingray

    stingray LawnSite Member
    Messages: 52

    hay thx that is what i wuz told and good luck to u to

Share This Page