getting calls due to warm weather

superintendent

LawnSite Senior Member
Are yall getting calls from your customers wanting to know where you are at due to the warm weather. Everybody thinks I should have been there yesterday due to the warm weather. I'm behind with the wind that we have been having and it's going to be 20mph the next two days. Yall that have a z what wind speed do yall not spray.

jad004

LawnSite Senior Member
I am getting calls everyday wondering why I haven't sprayed yet. Even had 1 yesterday leave a message that his Bermuda was starting to come out and that if I didn't get the Pre-emerge down, then I was going to kill his Bermuda when I spray. I am behind as well. I took vacation from my everyday job to get caught up and now we have 30 MPH winds for 2 days and rain for 4 days. Just my luck.

I follow the label on the wind speed even though it's tough some times.

DLCS

LawnSite Platinum Member
I'm in northern Illinois but we have time yet. Not too many calls so far. But this warm weather we are having now will get everyone calling. I can't ever remember having temps this warm the first week of march. Its been in the 60's the last couple of days.

Dbry12

LawnSite Member
I am behind as well due to the wind. The product label states it cannot be used in over 15 mph wind. It rarely gets below 15 in kansas. These next few weeks should be interesting and hopefully a high pressure system sets in.

Duekster

LawnSite Fanatic
I am a big fan of fall pre-emergent but I know I have to get most of my spraying done in Feb because March is so windy. The warm weather however does have people calling sooner for lawn mowing and new clients calling to get those 2 foot tall thistles knocked down.

Down here in Texas we have long growing seasons anyway but this was a warm winter. Should get us going and hopefully growing.

I can spray over 10 MPH around many homes because the wind is blocked. Open areas not so much.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
Don't have a Z but I do use booms with AI nozzles fitted. My limit on wind is over 20 and/or gusts with constantly changing directions. 5-15 is a calm day here. Under 20, I have no problems getting sprays to deposit on target. What is the nozzle spacing and boom height on a Z? I use booms at 16" above the grass and nozzles spaced 20" apart.

jsslawncare

LawnSite Bronze Member
Yeah same here with cutting.

fireman gus

LawnSite Senior Member
We have about 20 yards left for our first weed control application. We try hard to get the majority done in March as the wind gets bad in March. The last two days the wind has been steady at 30mph with gusts even higher. Therefore no spraying.

ted putnam

LawnSite Fanatic
Don't have a Z but I do use booms with AI nozzles fitted. My limit on wind is over 20 and/or gusts with constantly changing directions. 5-15 is a calm day here. Under 20, I have no problems getting sprays to deposit on target. What is the nozzle spacing and boom height on a Z? I use booms at 16" above the grass and nozzles spaced 20" apart.
Greendoctor, I was curious after reading your post so I stepped out to the shop. I have a 2011 Z-Jr36. The spray tips ar 17 inches off the ground and spaced 20 inches apart on center. Those air induction tips are the "bomb". We've had wind advisories for area lakes several days out of the last 2 weeks(25mph gusts) I've been spraying some very large properties.
Dr. Boyd with the UofA Turfgrass once said if the wind was over 10mph, we just needed to find something else to do that day.

If I stuck to that suggestion, I'd be behind the eightball until mid summer...