• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Getting Customers for 2010?????

I am trying to grown in 2010 to a bigger company and give me the edge over others. I am trying to come up with something that catches peoples attention and thinks that they are saving money. I have thought about giving customers free mulch jobs with a 2010 contract. I know i have to put limits on mulch and not include any kind of spring clean up in it. I was just wondering if people think this is a bust or something that might work or what will.
Thanks
Brian

Wonchoba's Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
I dont think the mulch idea is a good one becuase what are you going to do offer 1 free yard of mulch. So the people would have an area of new mulch and then rest old haha. I am sure there are other things out there that have worked for some people and some things that havent worked for others.

OP
C

cookslandscaping18

LawnSite Member
I know but really i think i could mulch almost all houses for a contract because even if a house takes 10 yards of mulch that cost me little but that house must likely has a pretty good size yard with about 60 to 70 dollar profit every week. I will prob have about 120 in the free mulch and labor so i will be even or above after two mows and be building up clients for years.

Wonchoba's Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
But you have to think if you get 5 houses that take 10 yards each right there is 50 yards of mulch and i dont know what the price for mulch down there is but that will add up real fast. And another thing is are you going to be spreading it by yourself and you cant not clean the beds out and make it look nice.

RollingZimmer

LawnSite Member
Buying in bulk helps you save. When you save and they pay regular price you make money.

I guess you gotta figure out if the juice is worth the squeeze. Its a risk but who knows how it could turn out. Just do it with a limit. Say an average yard is 10 yards, advertise free materials and then explain to them it covers each yard up to "x" amount of mulch, any materials over that limit they pay the cost of the material with no mark up or something like that. Then you look good cause they are getting free and cheap at the same time. The competitor will say mulch is 40 a yard while you are selling it to them for 15. Get what I mean?

Think about commercial, free mulch for a large mall complex could be quite costly like said above.

chimmygew

LawnSite Senior Member
Offer first cut free for a new customer with 1 year agreement