Getting fired

Tyler Moss

LawnSite Member
I got fired today by two customers. The first one has dogs so to make things easy for her I mow her every other Wednesday at 11am. I even call 30 minutes before to let her know I'll be there. Start on the front yard to give her even more time. It's a privacy fency so I cant see in. As soon as i open the gate a 120lb husky with a running start damn near knocks me over and knocks the trimmer out of my hand. I go tell her and she freaks ou . 30 seconds later the dogs back in. This was 2 weeks ago. Today I tried to call and my calls are blocked. I also mow there best friends. With the childish way of firing me I already knew the rest. Call there friends, blocked. Friends actually owe me money so we'll see how that goes. I'm part time and this is my first year so losing 2 of the few lawns that I have sucks. I feel like I didnt do much wrong. Maybe I could've found a whole in the fence to look through to check for a dog? I guess my question is, best way to pick up lawns in the fall?

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
Sounds like a terrible customer and terrible job anyway. Good riddance. The customer is going to have trouble finding someone that will come at the same exact time every other week and to call ahead first. If a customer ask me to do that I would tell them hire someone else.

As others said do some advertising for leaf removal. While your doing that hand out business cards and let people know that you would be interested in mowing for them next year.

Sorry for your issues with these customers. Unfortunately dealing with "people" sucks.

OP
T

Tyler Moss

LawnSite Member
Beginning of season and midsummer are your peak times for new accts, anyone who calls this time of year needs to be screened.

Be welcoming of the new homeowners and suspicious of anyone else.
Unfortunately that's what most of my work has come from. I got started a little late so I had to take everyone's scraps. Probably part of the reason why what happened today, happened

Highland79

LawnSite Member
I lost a Husky yard once to. They had 2, they never got out, but I never got out without **** all over the mower. When a competitor offered to do it for half my price I laughed all the way to the next new customer. Good ridance. You'll replace em.

MattZ28

LawnSite Member
You didn't get fired... You fired them!!!! Youre a business man you don't have time to be calling homeowners letting them know what time youll be there, you don't have the time to deal with their dogs or their laziness!!! Price yourself out of that market and keep grinding away you will pick up more accounts. You just keep doing good work the good accounts will follow and the CONFIDENCE you need to plow over these kinds of customers will follow after that