We've had a couple of flats....

Furthest axle on tandem trailer this past April
JD front mount 72" - popped 3 of the 4 tires (bush-hogging)...over 4 yrs
Exmark WB - Recent, maybe last week or week before

·
Registered
155 Posts
timinkc said:
i use that green tire gunk stuff... works great... no flats in over a year.

on mowers that is...i don't use it in my trailers or trucks
I've heard that stuff works pretty well, never tried it myself. I read in a mower manual somewhere that it voids warranties on some machines. I can't remember exactly why, but I think it had to do with uneven weight in the tires making the ride rougher on the equipment thus causing hardship on the mower...could be wrong?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lawnman_scott said:
I have had 4 in one day before. To make sure it wont happen again???? stop cutting grass maybe.
So, there are no remedies for this repulsive little problem? I don't know about everyone else, but I run a dead serious (but laid back) lawn business and my efficiency doesn't drop because of a measley flat tire (maybe if a worker flips the mower into a lake, but a measly flat tire?). My operation is a train and the only thing that ought to stop it is my decision to stop it (or a torrential rainstorm of course). To me, that is completely unacceptable. It might be reality, but still unacceptable in my book.

THe money you pay for a big rider (and its accessories) ought to buy you an untouchable operation like small walk-behinds provide, no?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
the green stuff works pretty good, I only have them in my front castors, and it helps a lot, sometimes I think the green stuff is holding the tires together lol. I might try J-thomas no flat tires on the front castors when these give out.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I guess we have about one a month, I have spares on the trailer so my men can change them and keep going. I have the flats repaired and put back on the trailer that day, usually. Helps to run similar equipment, limits the # of different spares you have to stock (I run Scag/Ferris walk-behinds and Wright Standers)

·
Registered
864 Posts
I had a flat a couple months ago. I filled it with air but it had a slow leak. I posted about it here and a lot of people recommended I use the green goo. I found some at the auto parts store and it worked well. No air lost since I poured it in. Really easy to use also. From what I hear it is basically a permenant fix, and stops new leaks when they happen. Give it a shot. It has worked fine for me.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Had three flats in three years. A good record I think, still inconvienant. One was about 500 feet down hill from the trailer on my wb. I put the 'Slime' in all the tires on the wb and my 'z' this spring and not one problem this year. I can't even tell of any air loss when I do the weekly maint. I think it works great.

Jim

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, my bro got too confident in this garbage heap field earlier today and sprung a leak. We used some of the goo we got upon purchase of the mower and it worked great. I will keep some plugs in the truck too.

Here's to seamless efficiency!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
After many leaks, I went to Zero-Flat tires. No more flats!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Mr. Magpie said:
Are they solid rubber? Do they perform the same? Could you show me a link?
No, they are not solid rubber. They are foam filled. The newer ones give a much better ride than the older versions. Try www.j-thomas.com.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I got two flats on one yard once thanks to sloppy roofers. Worst part was I was using a mower that had less than 20 hours on it. It was the only mower I have that did not have slime in the tires. I carry plugs in my toolbox also just in case. I have also managed to puncture a tire with a little irrigation flag. How that flimsy thing made it through the tread is a mystery to me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.