1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting injured...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by South Hills Lawns, Sep 16, 2019.

1. South Hills Lawns

South Hills Lawns LawnSite Member

what would you do, as a solo operator, if you were injured long term?

2. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Fanatic

@Bumpmaster

Cam15 likes this.
  3. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

I broke my hand a few years ago, towards the end of the season. I worked through it with a cast on little after a week. I had to turn down a lot of work. Hire help if you can. It sucks either way.

Cam15, zlandman and South Hills Lawns like this.
  4. weeze

weeze Banned

depends on the injury

Cam15 likes this.
  5. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

File a claim on long term disability benefits.

6. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Silver Member

Before you get hurt buy a disability policy so that you have it Incase you get hurt.

Cam15, kemco and zlandman like this.
  7. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Go from solo to employer.

Cam15 and kemco like this.
  8. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Easier said than done. I have a lot of health problems and my doctor basically said I would never get it because of my age and education.

It's tough man. I think of this every day. I went out for foot surgery and gallbladder just a few days apart. Luckily it was winter and my dad was able to do the minimum to get me by. This is exactly the reason I don't like this business. You find help, they don't stick around or they do sub par work, and act like they don't have a brain. You try to do it solo, then you get hurt, then you are out of luck.

Jeff@diyokc, zlandman, weeze and 2 others like this.
  9. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

That is very expensive to get enough to make a living. I can't get it now because of an anuto immune disease. But it's expensive in this line of work. That is a great thing to have though. Just have to make extra to afford it. I mean You start getting over $2000 per month and the price is going to be up there.

10. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

I priced out Long Term Disability couple of years ago. It was insanely expensive. I couldn't believe it. It was based on how many thousands of dollars of income you have (or want covered I guess). Then, you decide if you want coverage for being unable to do your specific occupation or for being unable to basically do any job.

I believe (I MAY be remembering the exact amount wrong) it was $100 yr for every $1k in coverage. Cover $100k and your paying $10,000 yr. I don't remember the exact parameters I set. Again, my numbers may be a bit off as it was like 3 yrs ago so I don't remember exactly. It was just super expensive. Also, I'm very healthy so whatever that's worth.

Mumblingboutmowers and JLSLLC like this.