• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Getting License, How To Learn What To Put Down

RollingZimmer

LawnSite Member
Im taking my test in march for commercial applicator. I was wondering how you figure out what to put down and when? The book only really tells me about safety and some calculations.

Any advice or links? This is going to be a new field for my company this year. Ive only put down like scotts organic mix before.

irish01ed

LawnSite Member
Start reading books, websites, trade magazines, etc.... Read the label, talk to suppliers/reps, or find an experienced applicator. Best thing is a combination of all three.

quiet

LawnSite Senior Member
Check your county extension service's website. They'll have great infromation regarding the type of turf and soils in your area, and a good, basic application schedule. This should give you a good foundation for the very start of the fundamentals you need for fert appplications in your area.

Premier landscaping south

LawnSite Senior Member
Check your county extension service's website. They'll have great infromation regarding the type of turf and soils in your area, and a good, basic application schedule. This should give you a good foundation for the very start of the fundamentals you need for fert appplications in your area.
This is really good advise.

I just went this week to our extension office at the county building. $40 dollars for 2 books. The man said the test is pretty difficult and that I should purchase the books before I took the test. $100 to take the test, you bet I will buy the books and study hard.

Greenery

LawnSite Senior Member
Really your going to start applying pesticides and fert without ANY experience or knowledge of how to do so besides reading a few articles. WOW

do you guys really think that just getting licensed makes you guys qualified and knowledgae enough to apply pesticides in an effective and safe way.

Any idiot can get licensed but that's about 1% of what it actually takes.

Premier landscaping south

LawnSite Senior Member
Really your going to start applying pesticides and fert without ANY experience or knowledge of how to do so besides reading a few articles. WOW

do you guys really think that just getting licensed makes you guys qualified and knowledgeable enough to apply pesticides in an effective and safe way.

Any idiot can get licensed but that's about 1% of what it actually takes.

Did not answer one question the man had.

You could not let him in on any of the other 99% of the stuff he has no idea about.

At one time you were in the same exact position as the one asking questions on a site where people expect kind answers from more qualified people like you. They do not expect people to stick out their chest full of pride and say "I know a lot and you don't, figure it out for yourself".

At least he is trying to roll in the right direction by being legit.

Everyone has a learning curve. I believe he will figure things out because he is trying to learn and advance.

Greenery

LawnSite Senior Member
Actually on this subject no I was not in his shoes. I worked for several different companies took some classes and learned different techniques from different people. I wasn't on a web site sitting in my lounge chair asking complete strangers whom I had no way to verify what they were telling me was correct questions that really can't be answered on a web site. This next part will probably ne deleted maybe even the whole thread but I think these sites are horrible for the industry by bringing in a bunch of yahoos that think they know what they are doing because of somthing they read on the holy Grail of lawncare lawnsite.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rarebreedx5

LawnSite Member
Wow Greenery is a dick, I dont know why you are being so rough and tough about a young kid trying to get some quick advice before taking his test. This site is not full of yahoo's for the most part. Yeah there are some newbies trying to start there landscaping companies, and yes there are plenty of people on here that give great advice. I dont even know why you had to put your two sense in for this kids question, all your doing is being an ass and discourging the kid.

Rolling Zimmer sounds like your taking the right steps for getting ready for the test, if I had any more info to give you I would, im sure you'll pass if you study, good luck.

The Rookie

LawnSite Senior Member
finding out what the grass likes and giving it at the right time. experience number one answer.

miketull8

LawnSite Member
Wow Greenery is a dick, I dont know why you are being so rough and tough about a young kid trying to get some quick advice before taking his test. This site is not full of yahoo's for the most part. Yeah there are some newbies trying to start there landscaping companies, and yes there are plenty of people on here that give great advice. I dont even know why you had to put your two sense in for this kids question, all your doing is being an ass and discourging the kid.

Rolling Zimmer sounds like your taking the right steps for getting ready for the test, if I had any more info to give you I would, im sure you'll pass if you study, good luck.
So what you are saying Greenery, is that at one time, YOU were in his shoes. You started asking around, you worked for others and learned the craft of application. But now you "know it all" (or you act like a "know it all") and for that screw everyone else for getting tips via the internet or from the extension office. You may be a great applicator, however, your people skills suck! :clapping: