Getting licensed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by smarino21, Feb 23, 2006.

  1. smarino21

    smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 345

    I live in michigan i wanna be able to legally fertilize lawns and put pesticides down. Can you guys give me some info on this i really need to figure it out because its almost time. I was wondering how hard tht test are n all that ****.
  2. smarino21

    smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 345

    help? me out guys lol i am really lost on what to do
  3. tjgray

    tjgray LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 294

    Perhaps everyone is unsure of just what n all that **** is and having a hard time answering :)

    No it's not rocket science but chemical application is not something you can learn overnight *In fact the really good ones often take years and years to get where they are*

    You do not have time to study, take the test, get results, find insurance, buy chemicals, get equipment, and gain the knowledge your going to need to safely and legally apply chemicals before the season starts. May I suggest you forget about starting this season as it is upon us and spend the time reading

    Good luck to ya may you figure it out :waving:
  4. Wil22

    Wil22 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 96

    I also just recently, ordered my books from the state, registered for classes so I can start spraying right away and make money this spring.

    Pay attention to what tjgray is saying.

    I couldn't't believe how much is involved with getting set up to spray herbicides and pesticides. I read on Lawnsite once before about someone who had second thoughts about getting licensed to spray.

    They had a day and a half class to help you prepare for the exam.
    After that, I left, I didn't take the exam. I may do so later but that is
    a whole lot of responsibility to take on in a few short weeks, just to make some money this spring.

    I'm sure I could have passed the exam, but their are other things that must be done before you start making money. Some things in this business can't be rushed.

    Now I understand why some in the business sub out pesticide work.
  5. walker-talker

    walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest
    Messages: 4,771

  6. Lawnman4life

    Lawnman4life LawnSite Member
    Messages: 7

    I recently checked into it. I was told that the person or someone working under that company who is selling the jobs has to have a degree in turf managment, etc. As far as working for a company like Scotts or any other fertilizing company, the employee has to get certified in whatever he/she is to be treating. But that license only allows you to work under an employer. I have worked for two in the past. I am sure that there is even more to it. Hope this helps..
  7. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    In Michigan, here's what you need to do....
    First, get all your book materials. You will need the yellow book for the CORE exam, then whatever books for whatever categories you are taking. For instance, your book for your turfgrass (Cat. 3A) Your book for your ornamental, (Cat. 3B - this covers your shrubs, ornamentals, trees, and BEDS), and whatever other categories you take (Right of way is always recommended). Study your materials, especially the laws, bi-laws, and safety procedures. (Know your math on calculating measuremants of odd shaped areas, and the calibration formulas).
    After you take your tests, you will be notified if you passed or failed. If you passed, you will recieve either a card as a certified tech., or an applicator,..depending on what you applied for. (The applicator is more in detail with the testing).
    After you have your certification(s), you are now eligible to either
    1. Work for a licensed company for a period of not less than two years doing applications or some other related field deemed equal by the MDOA.
    2. Possess a 4 year (Bachelor) degree in Agronomy, Turf Management, or some other Agricultural related field, AND 1 year experience working with a licensed company.
    3. Hire a full time licensed applicator that HAS the two years experience (or previous stated requirements), making you eligible to apply for a state license.
    When you reach these points, then you will purchase your insurance, (only $300,000 damage is required here in MI.). You then mail your proof of insurance, along with your cert. numbers, a notarized statement of experience (form PI-217), and a check for $100 to the MDOA and wa-la!! They send you your copy of your license!

Share This Page