Getting Mower In The Air In The Field

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by pjm123a, Jul 15, 2017.

1. pjm123a

pjm123a LawnSite Member
    from FL

Just as I was finishing mowing today I heard a faint pop and the mower stopped moving. I just knew this had to mean that the pump drive belt had snapped. While it had not snapped the cogs had separated from the body of the belt. No more cheap after-market belts for me. After this experience paying $45 for a name brand/OEM belt doesn't seem like such a bad deal. Now in my garage replacing this belt is less than half-hour job. In this case it took at least twice as long. Most of the time was spent on stabilizing the mower since the ground was real soggy and the mower wanted to shift as the jack sank. I ended up stabilizing the mower with wooden blocks and was able to replace the belt and finish mowing. The jack I used was a standard wheeled floor jack. I'm thinking there has to be a better way to lift a mower in the field. How do you guys do it?

IMG_2065.jpg

IMG_2066.jpg

TrainingWheels likes this.
  2. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Farm jack/hi lift

RDALawns likes this.
  3. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

Looks like huge PITA.. you couldn't have made it off the grass? Sucks you gotta take the tire off and all that too, would've ruined my day

hort101 likes this.
  4. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Silver Member

Wood blocks would be my choice. A floor jack placed on a piece of plywood first to lift then the blocks.
    Try cutting them to size at the shop and just leave them on the truck.
    As for the belts,it's a shame dealers (some) rip you off so bad on OEM parts.
    Any belt tha's a PITA to change maybe should be OEM.
    Sometimes there's a huge difference. Sometimes not.

hort101 likes this.
  5. pjm123a

pjm123a LawnSite Member
    from FL

"Try cutting them to size at the shop and just leave them on the truck."

I'm gonna take this advice. Thanks Ricky86. By the way, I see you are in Monmouth County NJ. I used to live in Manalapan.

GrassManKzoo: Once that belt went it wasn't moving one inch on its own. I could have opened the dump valves and towed it but I was by myself. Fortunately though I wasn't too far from home.

hort101 and GrassManKzoo like this.
  6. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

Looks like a heavy machine to be pushing and a long push too

7. JagT20N

JagT20N LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from will county Il

being I worked on heavy equipment , we had problems like this all the time ( hard to drag a 40K bulldozer back to the shop ) , solution?? a 4'x4' peice of 3/4-1" exterior grade plywood " ( thin stuff breaks has to be thick stuff in our case we often doubled them up ) and a peice of 16 ga steel cut 1"wider and 4" longer than the floor jack so the wheels don't cut into it and can roll when you jack it ( can lift 2 tons of stuff on the jack ) , we cut a handle holes in the plywood to make it easier to carry ,

in your case cut the plywood to fit under the mower so you can jack on it safely ( the width of the inside the wheels minus a inch or 3 so it don't get hung up on the tires , should work by 3' long and carry it in/on the trailer .

GrassManKzoo likes this.
  8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I actually used a belt drive wb to tow a DC out of a yard. Worse was the incline towards a drop off into a pond. Hooked it up, released the hydros and prayed. Walked it right out. Come along onto trailer. The days being solo sucks.

RDALawns and GrassManKzoo like this.
  9. Tonset

Tonset LawnSite Member

I carry a length of linked v belt (Adjustable). It's not the best for operating the machine but only to quickly snap it in place to get it moved etc. No need to take anything apart in most cases, just fish it thru and connect the ends.

TrainingWheels, GoPappy and hort101 like this.
  10. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

You buy a kubota zd or grasshopper with T drive and worry about hydro belts no more