Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got licensed back in June and I am currently trying to get clients so I can start to get my name out in the community. I have been putting things out on facebook. I have looked at a few lawn apps, but I was wondering if anyone had any more recommendations that could help me out.

·
Banned
288 Posts
Knocking on doors is a great thing. Dress nicely, use business cards, and strike up a conversation. I always tried to notice something about the property to comment on before I knocked. "Hey, that's a nice swingset". .......or ........ "You live in a great area!" People like to hear good things along with the sales inquiry.

And always ... ALWAYS ... back away 5-10 feet from the door after you knock. Never stand right in the doorway.

I'm in DFW and people in Texas are generally friendly folks. Just try not to inquire at mealtimes or after 7:00pm.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Knocking on doors is a great thing. Dress nicely, use business cards, and strike up a conversation. I always tried to notice something about the property to comment on before I knocked. "Hey, that's a nice swingset". .......or ........ "You live in a great area!" People like to hear good things along with the sales inquiry.

And always ... ALWAYS ... back away 5-10 feet from the door after you knock. Never stand right in the doorway.

I'm in DFW and people in Texas are generally friendly folks. Just try not to inquire at mealtimes or after 7:00pm.
I'm in the northeast and people aren't very receptive to door-to-door sales here. The police would probably arrive within minutes. You'd also usually need a solicitation permit to start with, obtained at the local town/city hall. Your results may vary.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Use the @Hurryupelectric door hanger method. Search for his posts. Ask friends and family. Ask everyone you know. Get a biz FB page and website or free Google listing started ASAP. Get on Nextdoor.com. Get reviews from every single customer you get. Mix it up between FB and Google. Google has been stingy on showing reviews or removing them. I see posts from people in some FB groups that say there reviews aren't all there. Make some yard signs.

·
Banned
288 Posts
I'm in the northeast and people aren't very receptive to door-to-door sales here. The police would probably arrive within minutes. You'd also usually need a solicitation permit to start with, obtained at the local town/city hall. Your results may vary.
The OP is in Austin TX. Folks in TX are a friendly bunch, unlike in other places. Sorry you have to deal with that there.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I’ll give you some of mine! But seriously many contractors get more than they can handle, I often turn things down. I only work by referral so when someone calls I try to recommend someone if I don’t have time to do it myself. Try to become friendly with other contractors and let them know you will take on stuff they are too busy for. Also let the supply house know you are looking for clients, they often get homeowners asking for contractors.

·
Super Moderator
18,765 Posts
If allowed in your town, pass out brochures at each door. Or...send the same information and color pictures as direct mail. There was a company on here that did a wonderful job--forget the name at the moment.
Be sure to take advantage of customer referrals.
Give a customer a free fertilizer or plant a birch tree if they find you a new customer. And allow the customer the option to give this freebie to the referred new customer.
A give-away or freebie is a good way to get an appointment or your foot in the door. Free rose bush?
Free tree fert with estimate? Free soil test? You can get a high-tech soil test kit, right?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Use the @Hurryupelectric door hanger method. Search for his posts. Ask friends and family. Ask everyone you know. Get a biz FB page and website or free Google listing started ASAP. Get on Nextdoor.com. Get reviews from every single customer you get. Mix it up between FB and Google. Google has been stingy on showing reviews or removing them. I see posts from people in some FB groups that say there reviews aren't all there. Make some yard signs.
Nextdoor is where we get all of our jobs. We do no advertising it is all word of mouth for us. Get on Nextdoor and select all of the areas that you want work in and make sure to create a business page with lots of before and after work.

When you get work ask the client to leave a recommendation for you in order for others to see it.

·
Registered
229 Posts

"hey you've got a really pretty wife/sister/daughter"

·
Registered
535 Posts
I think Google AdWords is by far the best advertising method, but you really need to learn it thoroughly before running ads. If you do not, you will throw away a lot of money. You have to create very specific geographic and service-related webpages, and keep your keywords as specific as possible. You also need to use negative keywords appropriately.

When I first set mine up, I wasted thousands of dollars on bad leads. Now there is nearly zero dollars wasted, and my cost per click is normally no more than a dollar or two.

If you are going to spend money on advertising, I don't think it can be beat - just buy a book and/or read a lot of online articles about setting it up before diving into it.

·
Registered
31 Posts

I think that’s a good method, the only problem I have with it is that some people may not want you on their property. While most people are friendly there is always gonna be someone who doesn’t want to talk, and doesn’t want you there. Some people want to left alone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts