1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about enhanced efficiency fertilizers with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Getting new engine or trading in whole mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, Apr 29, 2003.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking for a new engine again. I know I was b4 earlier n 2002 but I was delayed because my parents wanted me to improve my grades from a 3.6 to a 3.75 and I did so they said I can either get a new engine and a new catcher and a new dual wheel sulky or I can trade my mower in for a better one. First of all, how muchwould you give me for my mower. The specifications are below.

1996 Scag 52" SWZ
    14hp Kawasaki
    approx. 2000 hours
    plastic barrel like catcher
    1 wheel Velkie
    New oil, filters, belts, and blades

I'm shooting for about $1800. What do you think? And if I don't trade and just end up getting the engine and the other things, which place has excellent deals right now on 17hp Kawasaki engines? Thanks

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Without an engine? $800 tops with that many hours. Probably more like $500 to use as a parts mower. If you get the motor...definitely go smallenginewarehouse...dealt with them over the winter and very prompt.

4. lawnkid

Hey BHB,
    if that engine you're describing for only $150 is in real good condition and has low hours I'll take it. But my question is, why would he seel it with low hours and for that price. Somethins fishy.

Scraper,
    so you seriously don't think I could get that much huh. I mean everything is in good conditio, it was newly painted and everything.

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

scraper said w/o engine, not with the one it has right now. I don't know much about the engine just that he offered it to me once. I passed because I wasn't that far along in the project I would have got it for, but email me and I'll send you his email address so you can talk to him.

6. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Not for a mower that needs a new engine. Maybe if it fully operational and in great shape.

7. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

You ain't goona get much without an engine, I would replace the engine we just did on our 61" surfer...

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I don't believe that you will get much for a machine without an engine but that is just me. I would make the decision on only on what you can afford but do you like the machine enough to put an engine on it and continue using it?

Gravely_Man

9. lawnkid

Sorry guys, I guess I didn't make myself too clear. I meant to say how much could I get for the whole mower still with the 14hp engine on it. The only reason I think I need a new engine is because I do a lot of bagging and a lot of my properties havve irrigation so I need a strong engine to go right through the tall grass with ease. Right now when I go into thick grass, the whole machine shakes alot because I'm putting a lot of wear on the enigne. So again, I'd sell it with the engine.

10. lawnkid

C-mon guys, I'm really trying to see howe much I can get for the mower. If you saw an add in the paper with all the specifications listed above in previous posts and a prics tag of $280, would you bother to call? I just wanna see if it's cheaper to just get another mower or spend money on an engine?