Getting plates for trailer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Dunn's, Apr 3, 2006.

  1. Dunn's

    Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,534

    hey guys I'm going to get plates on my trailer tomorrow. I know this is a stupid question but do you need insurance on a trailer to get plates. I'm in Missouri if that matters, and I cant find anything about it on the DMV's website. Any help you guys could give me on this would be greatly appreciated.
  2. barny82

    barny82 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 13

    I just got my plate for my trailor on friday. I didn't need to have insurance. It was a home made trailor that I bought from a friend. I did have to get a VIN# put on the trailor befor I could get a plate but that was all. It might depend on the weight of your trailor to though now that I think about it. I have a single axle trailor. It is 5'x9' and super light. Really I have no clue if the weight matters at all. I just know that I didn't need insurrance.
  3. Dunn's

    Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,534

    thanks for the information but do canada's laws work like ours? I am unsure:confused:
  4. barny82

    barny82 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 13

    come on canada is the 53 state, not mexico :canadaflag: we drive on the right side of the road and contrary to popular belife. We are not all getting around on dog sleds. :usflag:

    I am sure there might be some differnces in our road laws, call you local registery they will answer you questing in a matter of seconds.
  5. Dunn's

    Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,534

    lol I know I have just never been there met some Canadian Air Force once in training though!
  6. FearThisDeere

    FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,154

    In Mass, you do not need insurance for the trailer, but it needs to go on your truck insurance that you will be pulling a trailer. It is like $6 a year or something. Also, if you tell them that the trailer is below 3,000 lb. GVW. you do not need a new title.
  7. lawnsplus

    lawnsplus LawnSite Member
    Messages: 107

    If Mo is anything like Illinois, you need insurance. In this great state, your trailor is not covered by the vehicle insurance, you need a seperate policy.

    Even worse is that the police here love to pull over landscapers because they always find a violation or three..

    No insurance on trailer, or no business license for that community, or no general liabilty coverage, community minimums here are $500,000 / $1,000,000 and you must name the village as an additionally insured.

    Load of crap if you ask me.

    Oh well... gotta do what ya gotta do to stay legal. (and protected)
  8. chevytrucks84

    chevytrucks84 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 147

    Are you sure about this???

    I am in IL also and my insurance company told me that you do not need insurance on your trailer by law. The liabilty part is covered by the vehicle pulling the trailers' insurance but any collision damage to your trailer itself will not be covered. So if you want your trailer covered it must be insured but it is up to you.
  9. Sunshine Lawn Co

    Sunshine Lawn Co LawnSite Member
    Messages: 13

    When i got my truck insurance i asked about trailer insurance. My agent told me i don't need it it's covered by the vehicle towing it.
  10. proenterprises

    proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,296

    In CT I did not need separate insurance for the trailer registration.

Share This Page