Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 40 of 133 Posts
Give me a break guys. I knew when I took the pctures you guys would say something about not being chained down. I chained it down after I took the pictures because I had the camera out for something else. The trailer has d-rings and I use chains to tie it down.

As far as brakes goes, the trailer has electric brakes on all fours so stopping has never been an issue. As far as pulling it with an F150, it pulls it ok as long as I'm not in a hurry. It takes a couple of blocks to get up to speed and 45-50 mph is about as fast as I'll take it. Fortunatly I don't have to move it very often and when I do it is only for a few miles. It stays out at the track 98% of the time. If I had to move it any kind of distance I'll use my buddies F250 powerstroke.

The trailer is a 14,000lb tilt deck trailer with a 4ft platform at the front. I can put my bucket on the platform and the CT450 with the laser grader on the tilt deck and still have a couple feet to spare.

When I take pictures of the new Cat I'll make sure its chained down for all you back seat DOT inspectors.
I kinda figured you hadn't chained it yet but that 150 is way too small for moving that setup on public roads.

BUILT FORD TOUGH! Hell yeah a chevy would have it's rear bumper on the ground with all that weight. Truck will pull it, just probably does not stop worth a crap!

Listen, Junior.

Straps are just much less safe than chains we try to discourage use of them.

I saw you talkin about how they were heavy and dirty. Let me explain something to you.
You plan to work in dirt. Don't complain about dirty things. You complain about how heavy they are. I guess that means you need to hit the gym or spend some more time with a shovel in your lily white hands if you think they're too heavy.

That machine there belongs on a gooseneck behind a dually 1 ton at least. With at least 5 chains on it. Crossed whenever possible. Inside a stake pocket or rubrail. Make sure they're ratetd at 50% of the machine's weight at least. That's easy with chains and a machine that small though.
I was trying to get the point across and get his attention and just screwing around like always that it wasnt tied down..

and if you remember right I was talking about them being dirty because i usually go with dad to go pick up equipment after school and I dont want to get the clothes I pay for to be covered in rust stains.. and when I meant they were heavy I meant they were just harder to throw around and manipulate like a strap and when you are bone tired and have been working since sun up in the 100+ degree heat it is even more tiring to carry freakn chains around to tie down a backhoe and they are heavier and when you are used to throwning straps around like I am and then pick up a chain its like holy crap thats kinda heavy compared to what I am used to..

Then get used to something new! And if you don't let your chains hang all over you then they won't get you rusty. Plain and simple.

Chains are just an all-around better idea. Grade 70 3/8" chain is twice as strong as a strap. Plus it won't break if it gets put on a sharp edge. Straps are just a bad idea. Chains are far safer.

I saw a very scary thing the other day. It was an F350 with a gooseneck loaded with a Dresser TD7 dozer. That's the equivalent of like a D3 or D4 CAT. They had 2 chains on it and 0 binders. He slowed down for a stoplight not even all that quickly and the dozer rolled forward 2 feet and hit the chains. I thought they were going to break and the dozer was going to head off the trailer. That was the worst tiedown job I've seen in a long while. If they'd just bothered to set the brake on the dozer or leave it in "gear" then it wouldn't have rolled at all.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Discussion starter · #28 ·
BUILT FORD TOUGH! Hell yeah a chevy would have it's rear bumper on the ground with all that weight. Truck will pull it, just probably does not stop worth a crap!
Like I said, the trailer has brakes on all fours. I can stop the whole rig with the electric brake lever and not touch the brakes in the truck.

Believe me when I say, I don't move it much and when I do I go slow and watch whats ahead of me so I don't have to do any emergency braking. I don't go on the freeways or highways just the side roads.

When I picked it up in Phoenix 2 years ago I used my buddies F250 powerstroke and I swear you couldn't even feel it behind that truck.

Well that's cause it's a Powerstroke.

I had only 2k pounds more on a bumper pull behind my 6.0L F350 dually and I popped a tire on the trailer because it was rubbing the fender. Granted my fenders are bent like crazy, but still. It was a T300 with a FECON head on it. They told me it was about 12k pounds. I had to get the dealer to bring it back since I got it home alright just couldn't get it back to them. Not sure why it was a problem on the way out, but I found out it's only like 90$ to have them move it so in my case it's not worth my time.

I love it when guys use the "I don't move it much and when I do, I take it easy." You guys who use that as a crutch for a reason not to buy the proper truck are the reason the DOT is such a pain the ass. I couldn't give a damn if you went 20 MPH on the freeway to get that machine where it's going, the DOT wouldn't get a damn either, it's still illegal. A 297C behind that truck is a disaster waiting to happen.

I was looking at the 450ct and the side screens are gone to right?
Add that to the no-no list:nono:

minimax

ccstrebe- I figured there was something behind the no chains...I figured you weren't that dumb. Good choice in vehicles though, I am a proud owner of a nice F150 :)

Junior- You're going to continue to get crap when you ***** and moan about heat and chains and what not....just don't do it because you will be the next to get a lot of heat from those of us who have been there and done that....back pedaling is also frowned upon. :nono:

Discussion starter · #33 ·
I was looking at the 450ct and the side screens are gone to right?
Add that to the no-no list:nono:

minimax
I was waiting for that one too.

If all I am doing is running a laser grader and grooming my motorcycle track with a blade and a scarifier why would no side screens be a no-no. It's not like I'm lifting chunks of concrete into a dump or working at a construction site where someone else could drop something on me.

If all I am doing is running a laser grader and grooming my motorcycle track with a blade and a scarifier why would no side screens be a no-no. It's not like I'm lifting chunks of concrete into a dump or working at a construction site where someone else could drop something on me.
Think about it for just a little bit.:rolleyes:

I love it when guys use the "I don't move it much and when I do, I take it easy." You guys who use that as a crutch for a reason not to buy the proper truck are the reason the DOT is such a pain the ass.
its very true...even if the truck can "pull" it you still need a bigger truck...i am not out to make enemies by any means on this site...i like to share the knowledge i have learned over the years and i take criticism with open arms...but guys that pull the max GVCW with their trucks are the guys that get us with CDL's pulled over all the time...its hard enough running a medium/big truck, but pulling that weight with a half ton kills all of us....and it is not just your fault by any means...theres so many guys in my area that do the same...so DOT sets up checkpoints to pull them over, but at the same time they will pull me over too since they are already there...it just erks me...

I wouldnt put a 450 behind my 2500hd chevy!! \
JR. there is a huge step between a half ton and a 3/4 ton...a 3/4 ton (especially a diesel) will pull a house down...i have pulled more then i cared with a 250 diesel...TL130 with a 2500lb trailer (10,000lbs) and i didn't like it...even though the 250 is rated to tow more i wouldn't want to. that 450 would be no problem behind a 2500...and it would be legal

hahaha...sorry i had to take advantage...sorry JLM but everyone else was using the "junior" thing so i had to partake

Got any pics of the track?:waving:

I raced a bit too. Never super fast but won a couple state championships in the C class in 2007. Sold the bikes (2006 yz290f, 2006 yz250, and 2006 yz450f, and a couple pit bikes) last winter and have regretted it ever since. Gonna do another big bored 250f when I do it again. Had hotcams, full hinson clutch, big bore, susp done, yeah the 290f was nice... damb it now I miss it bad.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Got any pics of the track?:waving:

I raced a bit too. Never super fast but won a couple state championships in the C class in 2007. Sold the bikes (2006 yz290f, 2006 yz250, and 2006 yz450f, and a couple pit bikes) last winter and have regretted it ever since. Gonna do another big bored 250f when I do it again. Had hotcams, full hinson clutch, big bore, susp done, yeah the 290f was nice... damb it now I miss it bad.
http://happytrack.com/html/track_0.html

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Discussion starter · #40 ·
:cry::cry:What a bunch of haters.:cry::cry:

Everyone is always saying let see pictures, lets see pictures, we want pictures. So all I do is post a picture of my rig getting ready to trade it in and everyone is crying about how small my truck is. It's not like I drive around everyday going from jobsite to jobsite. I might move it from the track a couple times a year either for repairs or to do something around the house, thats it. I go slow and I'm on side roads. I'm not buying a 1 ton truck for a couple times a year.

Believe me, if I had to move this thing all the time I would get a bigger truck.

Flame on!!

21 - 40 of 133 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.