Getting rid of Bermuda

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MisterBreeze, Jan 28, 2019.

1. MisterBreeze

MisterBreeze LawnSite Member

5DC2645C-31D3-4512-AB37-197A34922577.jpeg
    HOA sent a letter about creeping Bermuda grass. What’s the best solution for this problem?

2. Renob

Renob LawnSite Member

There is a product that controls bermudagrass in other grasses. Acclaim Extra by Bayer. I've never personally used it but have been told it does well.

Other that that, Round up it and seed over the spots where it dies. Would be hard to do this way and take several applications of round up, and would look bad for quite sometime

3. B-Easy

B-Easy LawnSite Member

You will never be able to maintain fescue grass in the "hell strip" between the street and sidewalk. Soil will consistently get too hot in the summer. Looks like its getting more direct morning sunlight on that side of the street as well. The fescue will falter and the bermuda will be right back.
    I shouldn't say never. If your soil is good and this area is receiving adequate irrigation, maybe, if you're lucky, you'll get a year or two before bermuda starts reappearing.

As far as getting rid of the Bermuda. Acclaim Extra, Turflon Ester, Pylex $$… all require repeat applications... to suppress, not kill. You want to try to kill it, multiple applications with glyphosate + surfactant during the heat of the summer (July/August) then overseed in September, whichever method you choose.

ARN Greencare and hort101 like this.
  4. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Move

5. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Your not going to get rid of Bermuda in Union county. Half of NC looks just like that and the other half has Bermuda as a primary grass. The only place that has decent Fescue is in the western part of the state. Tell that HOA they need to be more realistic about their expectations.

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

bermuda is a weird grass. almost impossible to get rid of it yet it will not ever completely take over either without being full of weeds and such unless you treat it all of the time.

tell them the only solution is to get rid of that strip of grass and put concrete in making a wider sidewalk. it will eventually creep into the main part of the yard as well over time. i can see it's already doing that in a few areas next to the sidewalk.

the only grass i've seen that can keep bermuda away is zoysia, centipede, or st. augustine if it's really thick and the right kind. it basically shades out the bermuda from ever growing. a lot of it depends on the soil too. sometimes an area just suits a certain type of grass better than another.

you're prob fighting a losing battle there. honestly the solution may be to paint the bermuda green in the winter time when it's dormant to match the color of the fescue....or you could plant rye grass in there too. it will be green in the winter time.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    hort101 likes this.
  7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

8. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

Pylex + triclopyr will kill it eventually. Recipe and treatment plan are on the pylex label.

A big shade tree will also do some damage to bermuda along with helping to protect the fescue.

The fescue that’s there looks to be doing ok. I’d go with popping for a bottle of pylex. Yes it’s expensive. Your name will get around in that HOA. By threatening fines for bermuda encroachment in NC (are they kidding?), they just created your retirement plan. payup

That Guy Gary, hort101 and knox gsl like this.
  9. ETM

ETM LawnSite Silver Member
    from GEORGIA

There is no solution. Send them a letter back and ask what they want you to do.

hort101 likes this.
  10. iand

iand LawnSite Bronze Member

I think your profile picture shows the most effective way to deal with Bermuda :)

hort101 likes this.