Getting started in Athens, GA--Need Advice!

jtcarroll1

LawnSite Member
Hey everyone,

I am launching my solo lawn care operation in a couple of weeks during my last year of school at UGA. I'm pretty experienced and already have a truck, trailer, trimmer, edger, and backpack blower. I am really focused in on what mower I need right now? I would like a small ZTR (Hustler Dash, Gravely Compact Pro), but my pocketbook says otherwise. Do you guys think a standard 21-25 inch push mower is good enough? I am looking to do primarily small to medium residential yards!

All mower recs and marketing tips to get my first customers are greatly appreciated!

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Are you just wanting to make beer money or get a good start in your business?

As a part time solo guy mowing in the evenings and weekends, I got a free Hustler Raptor with 35 hrs from a buddy. I put 130 hrs on it in 1.5 seasons. I had more issues than necessary on that low hours. Clutch wire harness goes out every 10-20hrs. Replaced the clutch at the end of last year and sold it to my brother. He probably put 5 hours on it and has had clutch issues. Finally took the clutch off and found it grenaded itself in under 10hrs. For my part time biz with limited hours, I INVESTED in a Scag Tiger Cat2. I wanted the best machine I could afford to get my productivity as high as possible with the least chance of annoying failures.

So what's your budget and longerterm plan? Short term college time beer money, yeah a push mower will work.

OP
J

jtcarroll1

LawnSite Member
Not necessarily short-term, but definitely small scale. I just have a passion for lawn care and am looking to make some extra money on the side, both while I'm in school and once I'm working full time. I really don't want to spend more than 1200-1500 on a mower. Scag's are great, but I think that is well outside the range. A free Hustler would be nice haha

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Not necessarily short-term, but definitely small scale. I just have a passion for lawn care and am looking to make some extra money on the side, both while I'm in school and once I'm working full time. I really don't want to spend more than 1200-1500 on a mower. Scag's are great, but I think that is well outside the range. A free Hustler would be nice haha
Well it wasn't exactly free. It cost me 2.5 years of mowing. I'll start getting paid for that lawn next year.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
If that is your budget, just get a used commercial walkbehind, a 36 would do you really good, hydro if possible, but a good belt drive will last you a long, long time.

Top Forums