Getting started in michigan

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by keene1bj, Oct 23, 2004.

  1. keene1bj

    keene1bj LawnSite Member
    Messages: 5

    Can anyone give me some info on liscensing,insurance or anything that you think I should know.

    Thanks in advance
  2. TClawn

    TClawn LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,036

    depending on what you want to do you will either need an irrigation license or a contractors license. some states only have contractors licenses.

    A couple tips.

    1. don't connect the valves to the lateral lines until you pressure test the main line and check for leaks around the valves.

    2. don't be cheap. if you are, you won't last long.

    3. make sure that you add in profit for your company over your salary. your labor is not your profit.

    4. don't exceed a flow of more than 5Ft per second. over this you start to run into problems with water hammer. valves with flow control. the flow control feature can be used to control misting and water hammer.

    hope this helps.
  3. keene1bj

    keene1bj LawnSite Member
    Messages: 5

    yes, all info helps. I have been working for an landscape and irrigation company for about 5 years now so I have some experience in irrigation. I am now ready to go out on my own and would like to all info specific to installing irrigation in Michigan

    thanks again for all the comments

Share This Page