• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Giant Vac Impeller Removal

CT18fireman

LawnSite Senior Member
I have a Older Giant Vac truck mount leaf vac. It has an impeller mounted to the 1" diameter keyed shaft of the motor and was held in place with a 5/16" allen head bolt which I was able to remove.

I remembered that the impeller was threaded so that one could thread a bolt into it, against the end of the shaft and force the impeller off the shaft.

I don't have the right bolt, it is bigger than 1/2" which I had in the shop. I think it is 9/16 so is it 12 or 18 pitch? Kind of hard to lug the machine to the fastener supplier.

Thanks

T-Trim

LawnSite Member
First off why are you removing the impeller?

I'm more then happy to help

OP
C

CT18fireman

LawnSite Senior Member
Two reasons. First is that the impeller is worn so I am going to repair that. Second is that I have an oil leak either at the shaft or the gasket around the end plate ,hard to tell with it all together. So I want to get it all fixed at once.

T-Trim

LawnSite Member
Well ok

You can repair the impeller for one. Its balanced and its a harded steel part. Two if you could remove it without damaging the impeller the fit wouldn't be the same and over time the impeller would work itself loose. trust me on this one.

now that said. first you need to get yourself a new impeller. and them """carefully""" cut the old one off. Or if your lucky you should be able to use the treaded end to push the impeller off. Good luck on the second one.

So if your going to cut the impeller off. What you want to do is make four cuts around the impeller close to the crankshaft. you don't need to go all the way through . just close. The four cuts should be 90degs from one another. after that heat then spray with wd or bp blaster. whatever you use. lightly hammer it to work wd/bp in. then heat the impeller up again. spray again you guessed it. after its cool to the touch. tread your pushing bolt onto the impeller and slowly turn into. if it doesn't move easily. And by easily I mean without pulling to hard to strain yourself.

keep heating and spraying with a light hammering to help thing along. Its not hard but could take a day. And please don't repair the impeller. The impeller is spinning at high speeds and not only that its move leafs and grass through it too. Just buy yourself a new impeller. welding could and can weaken the impeller even farther. Plus the balancing issue too. The cost of a new impeller easily out weights the safety of you and your employee's. Downtime and your bottom line.

T-Trim

LawnSite Member
how did it go? Are you stuck anyway? Pm me if you like