Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a truckloader, and my local dealer sells Giant-Vac truckloaders. I am looking at an 11 horse unit, it will be used on the back of a dump trailer. Is this a good unit or what else would you guys recommend? Mulching leaves is not an option here.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
some years ago I had a Giant Vac 11hp loader.

Sure you can pack more into the truck, yes you don't have to dump as often.

You lose a guy at the nozzle
sticks and other debris that may not be seen can clog the hose or the outlet. The noise and dust. Needed 4 men to lift off the truck. Need another truck for the sticks and fallen branches.

Found it easier and faster without the loader.

A nice toy to try for a year or two.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I agree with getting a 16 hp unit. I've had a Billy Goat for a couple of seasons and it makes fall clean-ups alot easier. I believe Giant-Vac makes a good unit also.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I'm thinking about the same thing, wasn't sure whether to go with the 11 or 16 horse. A fellow LCO has a setup where he throws into his trailer with his truck loader, like mbd. It's been profitable for him, I'm thinking about going for one as well. I was thinking about going for a non-name brand one, like those they sell at www.landscapersupply.com. Cheap, but I don't know about dependability.

:D

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
No No No, Bought and paid for by me.
I was just kiddin mike;) I wuz reffering to that thread showing his Magnamatic blade sharpener that he had to put a piece of paper on that said "Ultimate Lawn" to prove it was his, and then you did one on your truck.

Do they make vacs with actual shredder blades to minimize volume in the hopper, not just a "fan" to vacuum derbis up?

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
The fan chops things up PLEANTY!!! Its usually DUST when you unload! At least thats how it was with my Little Wonder 8hp with blower tube attachment.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
I like that tow behind.............................

After having using the 11hp, then storing it for the past 12 years or so................................should have sold the silly thing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you want something that will be able to suck up wet and frozen leaves, buy the biggest leaf vac you can afford. Here's a link to one made by Salsco.Link

My friend worked on the 4 cylinder 65 hp one at his repair shop and the owner loves it. His friend has a 30hp and this 65hp blows it away.

If i was to get a leaf vac, i'd get the 65hp one. Wet or frozen leaves wouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Originally posted by mtdmaster
I'm thinking about the same thing, wasn't sure whether to go with the 11 or 16 horse. I was thinking about going for a non-name brand one, like those they sell at www.landscapersupply.com. Cheap, but I don't know about dependability.

:D
We have an 11hp Billy Goat, works fine, but is not as fast as I'd like. If you are able, go with a 14 or 16hp. Make sure, though, that the larger machines also have a larger intake hose. I've seen some setups that are 16hp but have the same size hoses and impellor as my 11hp, so I don't think they are getting everything they can out of their machines.

The problem with some of the "non-name brand" machines is gauge of the metal they use. Billy Goat and Giant-Vac use thick and heavy impellors designed for vacuuming, some of the cheaper machines are just using a standard blower fan as an impellor. Also, the housing should be strong, the vacuums pickup a ton of crap like stones that can wear out cheap metal housings quickly.

A leaf vac is a very basic machine, the difference between the cheap units and name brands is the strength of the materials used to make them. If you only can afford the cheap unit, buy it, use it, make money with it, and then plan on getting a quality unit a couple years from now.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
I bought the 16hp model from Lesco this past spring. It had been on their shelves for awhile, got for $1500, which was about $700 of list price. I have not used it for leaves yet, but used it for scalping warm season grasses and it worked very well. I tried to intentially clog it and it would not (keep in mind that everything was dry). I found a deal on some new tow behinds for $3100 with 20hp, but could not junstify the extra cost. I would recommend to go with the most powerful unit you can afford without going less than a 16hp.

Good luck
MATT

·
Registered
164 Posts
I bought Giant Vac's unit separate, just the motor and blower and built my own mount for the plow frame on the truck. I've got the 16 horse unit, with a 10" suction hose and 8" outlet. I can get a whole days work on the truck and only dump once at the end of the day.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Snow Sky

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.