Gie-expo 2015

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Staying on points at a Fairfield. The downtown hotels are pretty pricey.

Joe Shooner

LawnSite Senior Member
A few thoughts/tips for anyone who is new to GIE - some of this may be old hat to some of you, but if anyone is coming for the first time...

- Plan out what you want to see. As an exhibitor, I see people wandering the aisles nearly catatonic from just walking aimlessly for hours. Figure out what you absolutely want to see, and make sure you go to those exhibits. It's possible that just hitting your must-see companies will take all your time.

- Don't eat at the EXPO center. Lord, the food there is awful. There's really good food close by. On a related note, if you're into good beer, check out the BBC and/or Against the Grain brewery. Both have good beer and good food (though they are downtown, not near the expo center).

- Go to any free educational sessions that you can. These are a huge resource and can give you great ideas. But there's a lot of them, so investigate now and adjust your schedule accordingly.

- Strike up conversations. I'm always amazed at how many attendees I see that seem to have really gruff, unpleasant attitudes when they walk the show floor. Yes, some of the other companies *might* be a competitor, but most of them are not. Most of them are just companies like you, trying to learn something and get better at what they do. So lighten up, talk to people. Make friends and ask questions - try to learn something from anyone you meet.

- Have fun. This IS supposed to be enjoyable. So kick back if you have time. Try out a piece of equipment you don't need - it'll be fun.

The main thing, I think, is to make yourself a schedule. Find out what all is going on and start a spreadsheet for each day. Even if you don't fill every waking minute, it's really helpful to put down on paper the stuff you really want to do.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Is there a floor map and an outdoor exhibit map out there to print off?

Turboguy

LawnSite Bronze Member
It looks like a great show this year. It is noticeably larger this year. The area that has been the food court in the past is now filled with exhibits and the food court has been relocated in a new area near where it used to be.

OakNut

LawnSite Platinum Member
I was just looking at the list of "new products" being unveiled.

Nobody with a 30" mower to spank Toro with?
That sucks. LOL!