1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Give me some input on the Ford 5.4

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Eric 1, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

How does it work, will it haul butt, haul lots of weight. Is it reliable, and any big problems.

It will be in a 99-02 F250 auto 4x4.

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Have one in a 02 conversion van. Works fine, not exceptionally strong, but if you twist it it will get with the program. 16 mpg. 0 breakdowns in 30k.

3. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've driven a '99 F-250 Lariat Super Cab shortbed 4x2 with the 5.4L, it gets around fine. I did pull a 4,000lb. boat with it, it did fine, not as fast as the V-10 or diesel, but respectable for a small displacement V-8. My grandfather and uncle have the 5.4's in their F-150's and both have about 100k on them, they are doing just fine. I like the 5.4L engine, its reliable, dependable, and makes good power in stock form.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

My F250 is the 5.4. Gets around town pulling just fine. Plenty of power, no its not a diesel, but it moves whatever I put behind it. I've had around 10,000 lbs behind it on several occassions and it does fine. Under every day conditions it has about 5,000 lbs behind it. If I was going to be running all over the country pulling heavy weight then I would get the Powerstroke, but for intown work, the V8 is fine. I bought the truck new about 13 months ago and it hasn't been back to the shop.

5. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have 80k on my 5.4 and love it. Only minor maintenance done so far.

6. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks so far guys.

One more question, Is there potential for more power? like,how will it respond to mods like a chip intake and exhaust?

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Oh I'm sure there is plenty of room for improvement. I don't need it or want it at this time. I like quiet these days.

8. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely!!!!!! :cool2: