• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

GL Coverage for Fert and Spraying

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Guys,

I am frustrated here.....I am in the process of getting GL quotes for my solo op and wanted to inquire what General Liablity form must be added to a GL policy so that you are INSURED for Bodily Injury and Property Damage arising from application of fertilizer and pesticides as a licensed applicator.

I know for a fact that neither GL code 97047 (Landscape Gardening) NOR 97050 ( Lawn Care Services) cover application of fert and pesticides that you need a license to apply. So, what DOES need to be added so that a guy is covered properly up to the limits of the policy?

Sad thing is, I am getting different answers from different insurance agents. Scary, really:dizzy: All I want to do is cover my buns.

(PS - please reply only if you have some in depth knowledge of GL coverage and its forms, I am looking for specifics here. Please DO reply if you are from MN and have some input:)

mike174

LawnSite Member
In NJ: (from NJ DEP Pesticide Control Program)

"Liability insurance coverage from an insurance company licensed to do business in the State of New Jersey with the equivalent of a $300,000 combined single limit of liability for bodily injury and property damage, which includes coverage for completed operations.

As part of the coverage required above, coverage for chemical liability is required, for the types of pesticide application performed. This chemical liability coverage shall provide coverage equivalent to that provided by the Insurance Services Office (ISO) standard endorsement CG 22 64 (which provides chemical liability coverage for the ground application of pesticides by pesticide applicator businesses) or its equivalent."

OP
DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
mike - thats great stuff, thanks....
I need to arm myself with info to take back to these agents.

LB1234

LawnSite Gold Member
as previos poster has stated our state (NJ) tells us our minimum. I provided this to our agent. We have to take out an additional insurance "rider" that attaches to our GL coverage (for those same amounts) to be covered for the chemical coverage. If I recall its an additional 500 or so a year tacked onto my GL policy.

mike174

LawnSite Member
Happy to help. Always refer to your local DEP requirements if an insurance agent doesn't know the law. Also, don't be affraid to ask your insurance agent to call the underwriter, the underwriter knows what is required.

OP
DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Happy to help. Always refer to your local DEP requirements if an insurance agent doesn't know the law. Also, don't be affraid to ask your insurance agent to call the underwriter, the underwriter knows what is required.
It is really sad if an agent does not know how to offer products to cover you properly when you tell him what your exposures are. His buns are on the line too.

jasontimm

LawnSite Senior Member
I go through grinnell muteul, they put me under the landscapers policy to cover the spraying, and fert. considering your only an hour away from me i'm sure it will be the same policy for you.

OP
DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
I go through grinnell muteul, they put me under the landscapers policy to cover the spraying, and fert. considering your only an hour away from me i'm sure it will be the same policy for you.
Jason, I used to be with Grinnell too, thru my Independent Agent here in town. Once I started spraying, my agent said Grinnell either DID NOT or COULD NOT cover the application exposure. Grinnell really did have some nice rates.

If you don't mind me inquiring - could you look at your most recent policy declarations and let me know what GL codes you have listed on there, as well as the specific endorsement that adds the spraying/fert application coverage to the policy? If it is too private of info for you I understand.
If I find out my agent switched me to more expensive coverage when I did not need to so do, then I am switching agents and he is GONE.