• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Glass Rail System

Crusher Run

LawnSite Member
Hey guy's. Anybody have any experience with glass railing system. I was looking at the ones on railingworks . com They look very attractive, and I need a rail to complete my patio. I haven't got a quote, but I'm guessing they cost and arm and leg. Man! I like the look a lot.

PaperCutter

LawnSite Bronze Member
A client of mine has lexan panels as a deck rail system. I won't go out there in high winds, after almost taking a panel in the head. Every time there are high winds, one or two panels pop loose. I wouldn't want to install a glass railing system on a patio unless I was able to get the posts solidly anchored really deep to handle wind loading.

OP
C

Crusher Run

LawnSite Member
Hmm Yes. Wind may be an issue. One side would be exposed to fairly steady winds. I'm sure I have gusts of over 30-40mph occasionally. I was thinking of just using hardware to screw into the glued caps on the retaining wall. When the railing system is assembled it should act as a structure to resist wind force.
It looks like the frames are made of extruded aluminum.

Dirt Boy

LawnSite Senior Member
Not sure what exactly you mean by screwing into whatever, but don't screw through lexan, as it will crack around the hole, just my experience from mfg. plant. Needs a cushion type gasket or frame to hold it.

Regards

OP
C

Crusher Run

LawnSite Member
There framed 1/4 tempered safety glass. The rail system is aluminum. I would screw the posts in to the capstone of the retaining wall.
I don't know if that would be sturdy enough. I guess I could anchor it to the last course of stone and cut the caps to fit around it. That wouldn't be as "clean" as I'd like. I'm going for a polished high-end look.

Any one ever use a product like this? What are you thoughts or suggestions for a patio rail system?

glass-railing-5.jpg