Lawn Care Forum banner

Global Warming

12K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  Mark Oomkes 
#1 ·
The world's getting hotter, the sea's rising and there's increasing evidence neither are naturally occurring phenomena. So says a report from the U.N. International Panel on Climate Change, a document released every six years that is considered the benchmark on the topic. More than 800 authors and 50 editors from dozens of countries took part in its creation.

The U.N. is 95 percent sure that we are causing global warming.

Part of me doesn't want to believe them, but how can you argue with people who know a heck of a lot more about this than us?

#28 ·
Yea but you really can't be skeptical about how Coal is polluting China. [/B]
No, not skeptical at all! Its funny, I was going to bring up pollution in general but though better of it. I was going to bring this up in particular... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_garbage_patch

Anyway, the point I was getting at is unless we can come up with a realistic way to replace energy derived from coal, nothing will change.
Taxing you and I wont stop it, unless we're taxed to the point where we cant afford to buy anything. ie, China crashes, stops the need for energy = less pollution. But that will mean the loss of mining and all associated jobs. That would be VERY bad for our economy with the trickle down or knock on effect.

I really dont know the answers thats for sure, its just really hard to know who to trust and or believe. I have no doubt there is big money involved. Cap n trade for example! What a load of sh!t! Corruption!

At the end of the day I do want clean air, water and non GM food. Cleaning up China, India etc is a great start but as I said, we need something to replace or drastically reduce the amount of coal being burnt world wide.
We need a new energy source! :rolleyes:

Think of all those billions being wasted on the wars for oil. If only a fraction was used on R&D surely someone could come up with a solution. Or is that just wishful thinking? How about subsidised solar panels on every roof, all fed into the grid during the day to power industry. Feasible? I dont know!
Ahhhhhh, it does my head in and is why I gave up a long while ago thinking anything will change.

The world really is getting screwed over. Be interesting to see what its like in 100yrs from now. I feel sorry for my grand kids.

#29 ·
There's a difference between weather and climate, guys. Weather is over short-periods, climate over long; so, yes, the climate can be changing--heating up in fact-- while the weather is colder than average for that year (or for those years).

Understand? I guess it's the science, but it also seems like language confuses many people.

#32 ·
Russell,

I read the entire thread. I assure you many people here were confused by the difference between weather and climate. So, yes, I agree, I don't believe many people are confused by words; I know they are.
The climate has been warming for centuries.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.