1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

GLS's Equipment

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by GLS, Jan 12, 2004.

1. S-205

S-205 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ontario

Again, still one of my favorite threads. Thanks for the update on the season. Good to see you're alive and well. Love the new Cummins, tilt deck and Bobcat. Good call painting the winters orange.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Stander Commander

Stander Commander LawnSite Member

Neat thread. Very impressed with how far you have come.

3. Easy Outs

Easy Outs LawnSite Member

Great thread!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Wanito05

Wanito05 LawnSite Member

Just went through your whole thread! I am extremely impressed. Your equipment looks great. A couple of questions. Are you still a 2 man operation? If so what has stopped you from getting bigger? The work you do looks like you could be a dominate landscape company. Just curious I am in my third year and have hit a cross road to go big or stay small and charge more. Any opinions would be appreciated!

5. 217lawncare

217lawncare LawnSite Member

Do you still have the duramax?

6. OP
    OP
    GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks! Been happy with the new truck so far. Excellent towing power, especially for stock.

Yeah, it's perfect for a skidsteer. Easier, faster, and safer than using ramps.

Thanks! Good luck in the search for your shop. I think we were fortunate to find this one, they seem to be hard to come by at a reasonable price.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks! We are still a 2 man operation. For the time being, we have decided to stay small. We are both happy with the way things are. The biggest thing keeping us from getting bigger is employees. I'm afraid it would be too difficult to find good reliable employees that would live up to our expectations. Also, it would take us away from the field work (which is what we enjoy) and put us more into the paperwork/estimating/managing employees situation, which is the part of the business we both dislike. So we figure if we can make it work with just the two of us, that's fine.

Yes, for the time being. We decided it was worth keeping it around even if only used mostly for snow. Keep the newer trucks out of the salt as much as possible, and from wear and tear of snowplowing.

7. Wanito05

Wanito05 LawnSite Member

I would love to find just one other person that would be invested. I have had a couple employees last year and every time I would leave them alone to mow it wasn't up to my standard. Drives me crazy. I ended up working solo most of the year. Which cutting 80 properties on top of trying to do landscaping by myself was extremely tough. I am with you I love working in the field and struggle with the office side of the business.
    How big are you guys now?

8. cutshortlandscaping

cutshortlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

What light bars on your trucks
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. OP
    OP
    GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

You're describing my fears:hammerhead: That's a lot of accounts to handle for one person! We don't do a lot of landscaping, we find it difficult to fit in (especially with no additional labor force).

How big are we? Kind of hard to quantify as we are pretty diverse in our services. I think we have over 50 residential properties of varying sizes, a handful of small offices and condos, and one larger commercial property that are weekly maintained. We do applications on most of them. Many small landscaping jobs mixed in, and we usually seem to land one or two larger landscaping jobs each year.

The flatbeds are running whelen justice towman bars. Nice bang for the buck. Plenty of amber flashers, plus built in stop/turn lamps and work lights.

10. Wanito05

Wanito05 LawnSite Member

Yeah it is a lot work. Usually work 7 days a week until at least July. How do you like the z spray? I am bouncing back and forth between that or the Exmark Spreader.